Author Topic: Cache of guns  (Read 5442 times)

Micah2

Cache of guns
« on: February 10, 2015, 04:18:42 AM »
I have the opportunity to buy any or all of these guns.  I am interested in the pistols, and the hawken style gun.  Also I believe a few of the percussionist are NC guns.  Does anyone recognize style or makers?  Prices are reasonable, are there any gems beyond what I have mentioned?  Also I am buying about twenty powder horns, small and large.  Any insight would be appreciated, this is a rare opportunity.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 01:36:33 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Cache of guns
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 04:38:18 AM »
Micah,
That's quite a bunch of guns! The earliest I see, unless I've overlooked something is the Miquelet (sp). Then come what appear to be, some originals. I can't make out what the lever gun is. And then of course several early "customs". I am partial to the half stock with the wrist repair. I don't know what your circumstances are, or what is being asked, but I would research the makers that are known on line or through whatever resources you have available. To ask for opinions and values based on the pictures you have posted is a tall order that may do you more harm than good. Good luck, there may just be some hidden treasure on those racks.
Mark
Mark

Micah2

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:45:46 AM »
Thanks, I know it's hard by pics alone.  Pics are all I have.  I'm driving this weekend of survey the lot in person.  I feel good about the pistols, one has an ivory blade sight.  They are graceful.  I'm not sold on the flintlock "hawken style". Though it does look good, so does the cap gun below it.  That stock makes me think Jamestown, I dunno. 

Micah2

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 04:51:02 AM »
Correction: ivory or bone fore end piece.

Micah2

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:58:50 AM »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 01:34:09 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
The only one I'd give $50 for is the double barrel.The rest look like they were made
 with imported Dixie Gun Works locks from the 1950's.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:57:19 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Micah2

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
Thanks Bob.  Pistols as well? 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:39:33 PM »
 I agree with Bob on most of these guns. The Miquilet lock shown on one of the guns is definitely a Dixie import from years ago. Some of the cartridge guns are antiques, but I would be suspicious of the muzzleloaders. They may be made with salvaged parts, supplemented with modern parts.
 Let your conscience be your guide. If they are cheap enough go for it.

Hungry Horse

Online mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:20:01 PM »
I do not see any Jamestown rifles in that group.

Each collector has his own taste.  My recommendation has always been that I would rather buy one great rifle for ten thousand dollars, than buy ten poor to average rifles for one thousand dollars each.  The great rifle will increase in value over the years and will be easy to sell.  The poor to average rifles will not increase in value and will be hard to sell when you are ready.   

On a number of occasions over the years, I have paid a record price for a great North Carolina rifle.  In every case, when I look back ten years later that record price looks like a bargain.

Michael 
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:32:31 PM »
Thanks Bob.  Pistols as well? 

Those pistols look like something sold in a Pakistani Bazaar but
no way to tell for sure from pictures.A friend has some similar
pistols in his antique shop but I never bothered to take a close look
at them.He has one pistol that I really liked and it is an 1858 Remington
and probably one of the first conversions by the factory to center fire
cartridges.

Bob Roller

Micah2

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 04:08:02 AM »
Thank you Michael.  I value your opinion greatly and appreciate all of your work here in NC.  Please check your PM.  Bob, I am next door neighbors to Paul Key, he is a descendent of the Kennedy Clan of Smiths and apparently remembers you from years ago, he was very pleased to know you are active and well. 
Thanks all for looking, I will proceed with caution.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 06:59:48 AM »
Michael's advice is exactly right. Spend time studying, decide what particularly interests you, and then buy the very best you can afford. In my opinion, a small collection of excellent quality will be more satisfying than a nondescript and unfocused collection, no matter how numerous.
Wayne Elliott