Author Topic: New squirrel basher  (Read 5894 times)

Offline AMartin

New squirrel basher
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:48:53 PM »
A happy client took this picture at our 18 Century Artisan show in Lewisburg this past week ..

It's a Lehigh Schimmel , lefty 40 caliber .. 44" barrel ..

Enjoy .. Allen

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: New squirrel basher
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 04:14:04 PM »
Who's the old codger holding the gun?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline AMartin

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »
I'm not that darker haired , skinny kid I use to be ... where does the time go ??
But I'm happy !!

Al

Buckingham

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
Here's hoping that I too can own one of your Schimmel rifles in due course Mr. Martin; If I can make some transactions occur for current items in my meager collection, I hope to be sending a down payment soon!

Offline shifty

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »
   Allen what is the difference between a Lehigh and a Bucks County Schimmel ,I have never studied anything but the Hawkens Rifles. My son brought me a partial kit gun he had traded for it has the Schimmel preshaped stock with barrel channel and ram rod hole cut but not the lock inlet i did that,no butt plate and no trigger gaurd. How would a modified Tenn style iron gaurd and buttplate and two iron pipes look in your opinon. It has a 42" 45cal ,13/16" straight barrel with it,and a small Siler Lock.

Offline AMartin

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »
Hey Buck ..
I'd be happy to build you your personal flinter .. just lemme know when you're ready ..

Shifty ..
The difference between a Lehigh & a Bucks Co schimmel is the same as the fancier rifles of these schools  ..
A lot of books blend these two styles/schools of rifle but they , in my opinion , are quite different .

In general , Lehigh rifles have a double step on the bottom toe line , Bucks have a sweep .
Comb lines are generally straighter on a Bucks with more of a step .. Lehighs (the better ones) a subtle roman nose that sorta flows into the wrist ..
There are many other little things that make em different ..
I could go on all day but dang it , I have work to do .. I'm carving a Bucks Co rifle ..  that needs to see stain by tomorrow !!

Others that know how to type faster and know about rifles can feel free to add to this thread ..

Ciao ..
Al

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:00:58 PM by AMartin »

nosrettap1958

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 05:21:49 PM »
If you go to Allen Martin's web-site you can see the differences between the Bucks county and Lehigh valley rifles. They are pretty distinct especially transitioning through the wrist and comb.

Offline blackbruin

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 05:48:18 PM »
I held that rifle and boy is it super skinny.....

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:47:05 PM »
Buckingham, I'll happily give Allen a reference, not that he needs it.

He built me a rifle that is hiding on his table there in that picture. Tell him what you like, and then let him make it a reality for you. Just be warned---- I'm going to be putting in an order for a 2nd rifle with Allen soon. It's hard to own just one!

Offline shifty

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:11:35 PM »
  OK,Allen and Crawdad after reading the descrip and looking on Allens ws i have determined that I have a Bucks Country Schimmel precarve stock,but i have double set triggers maybe will go with single or set single. thanks to all !

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 06:20:15 AM »
Allen's Buck's County schimmels are pretty cool too.  I sure like mine.  It is a super skinny .40.  I need to run it down to the local butcher shop and have them weigh it.  I'm guessing 6 lbs.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.