Author Topic: Things I Hate About Collecting  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Things I Hate About Collecting
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »
Whenever I run across something like this, I get a sick feeling in my stomach!  Never know just what to do or say to an unknowledgeable seller or owner. Hate to hurt feelings but boy, to see something that is advertised and mislabeled for where it was made as well as the modern additions adds to my discomfort. I have seen this seller around for a very long time but do not know him personally.  What would you fellow collectors do with this?   http://www.gunsinternational.com/-4644-Fullstock-Flintlock-Ladies-Rifle-27-full-octagon-barrel.cfm?gun_id=100439018
Joel Hall

Offline debnal

Re: Things I Hate About Collecting
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:53:38 PM »
The eagle cheekpiece inlay appears to be a military eagle device for bird colonel or Navy Captain.
Al

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:28:01 PM »
I'd say it was made in the '60s....1960s, by a beginner at that!
Tom C.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
If one could pop the lock and look under the mortise we may have an idea of age.....at some point I think "old barrel" but I know that the box and all the fancy stuff was added much later, coulda been an old original gun that somebody decided to "make it better" by adding trashy junk to it.

Something keeps poping into my head about the phrase: A fool and his money.....

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 07:34:55 PM »
They love that seller, 5 star rating on Antiquegunlist where he gets rave reviews.  Let it go and it will set you free ;)
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 09:28:06 PM »
What I see here is an original rifle made by Jacob Deemer  "J D"  who apprenticed to Nicholas Hawk! Problem is the added on patchbox that looks like a Pedersoli Italian job and the silver moon & star inlays that came from TOTW. The eagle cheek inlay does look like something off of a military insignia. Just too bad that a good plain rifle from this maker has been ruined!
Joel Hall

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:55:35 PM »
Just too bad that a good plain rifle from this maker has been ruined!

This is what I hate the most - seeing good original guns that have been messed with and destroyed.  Even a lot of people today who "restore" firearms use all sorts of poor techniques that destroy the finish and feel of the original gun.  Do nothing that cannot be undone.  The work here was probably done in the 60s or 70s by someone wanting to spruce up an "ugly old gun".  I've gotten into a heated debate with a seller on gunbroker from NC who "cleans up" antiques (with a wirebrush, sandpaper, brasso, etc.) then sells them as shootable.  Raises my blood pressure to see things like that... I've learned to ignore them and move on. 

I have on occasion emailed professional auction houses when they've listed something as original that is clearly a reproduction (I even saw a tomahawk that still had the casting gate on it!).  I've yet to see the listing change, and have seen some brand new pieces sell as originals because the auction house labeled it as such. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Conversely, my friend Dave just picked up an 1851 Colt Navy at auction where this original was described as a repro.
He was apparently the only one there that could tell the diff.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:08 AM »
I certainly feel for you; but I have learned that no good deed goes unpunished.   Also , these are big boys and girls playing in this sandbox and should know it's caveat emptor.