Author Topic: Interesting Fowler  (Read 5049 times)

nosrettap1958

Interesting Fowler
« on: February 14, 2015, 06:25:11 AM »
What category would you put this fowler by Yancey von Yeast, Club Butt (Marshfield), Hudson Valley?

Am I even close???  ???

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:31:14 AM by crawdad »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Interesting Fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 05:02:49 PM »
Yep, you're close. Not a HV gun but I'll guess more likely somewhere in Mass. or Conn. Yancy could probably tell you for sure. I'd date it pre 1720.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 05:41:04 PM »
  I think you are right, Mike. These fowlers were definitely made and used in New England in the late 17th and early 18th century era---and even later.  I've seen several in the Marshfield/Duxbury area over the years.
  When I was a kid we lived in old houses and many doors had handles that resemble this style of trigger guard. Or the trigger guard resembles the door handles--in any case, I think they are pretty cool. And this is a very cool fowler!

nosrettap1958

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:40:03 AM »
Thanks guys!!! When I see a club butt, to use the generic term, I'm always wondering where did they come from? You look at the sleek English fowlers and some continental fowlers and compare the two and start thinking now that could not have possibly evolved from that.

Online old george

: Interesting Fowler
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
the club butt fowlers are really interesting weapons. I'd really like to handle one to see how they shoulder.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

nosrettap1958

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 12:07:46 AM »
I agree Geo.

They were good rugged weapons and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw them being used at the battle of Breed's Hill and beyond during the Revolution and maybe even after that.  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:14:59 AM by crawdad »