Author Topic: Could this be an Illinois rifle?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline okawbow

Could this be an Illinois rifle?
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:45:12 AM »
I recently discovered that my GG Grandfather had a blacksmith shop, and may have worked on guns and even built them, between 1830 and 1858. He lived near Ramsey, Illinois.

This rifle was passed down in the family to my Father. He traded it to a man in Texas, who sent me these pictures.

Does anyone see anything that suggests it could have been made in Illinois?
photo by okawbow, on Flickr

photo (2) by okawbow, on Flickr

The horn and bag are original to the gun.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Could this be an Illinois rifle?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »
Curt?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:45:55 AM »
The rifle pictured certainly could have been made in Illinois, during the mid-19th Century.  The stock is obviously maple, which is slightly more common than walnut, on rifles made in that part of the state.  Are there any markings on the rifle, particularly on the barrel? Also, what was your GG Grandfather's name, just in case I might have run across him?

Offline okawbow

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »
I haven't seen  the rifle in 50 years, and the owners are not being very helpful other than the 2 pictures. I don't think there are any markings on it.

My GG Grandfather was Bowling Jones, and his son was Benjamin Jones, who ran a blacksmith shop several miles east of Ramsey Illinois.

The rifle looks like it has a hint of "fish belly" on the butt stock. The fore end cap is a piece of sheet brass.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:31:24 AM »
I wish I could tell you where the rifle was made, but there just isn't much to go on. It is typical of rifles made in the Midwest in that era, but we may never know much more than that.