Author Topic: White longrifle made in Pittsburgh, Pa  (Read 5097 times)

8borerifle

White longrifle made in Pittsburgh, Pa
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »
I am new to the forum and collect English double rifles but my cousin called and asked for help on a longrifle. She lives in California and me in Ohio so I have never seen the rifle. She tells me it is a percussion longrifle made by a gunsmith name White and the address engraved on the barrel is Pittsburgh. Her husband passed away a month ago and she called me to see if I knew anything about the maker in Pittsburgh. She said it has a very well defined tiger stripe stock. She took it to a local gunsmith who told her what it was and said it was in fair to good condition. She knows very little about guns and I have no more info than that! Sorry for the limited info, she wants to know if any information is available on the maker. I believe she will end up giving it to one of her sons who lives in Georgia. Thanks for your help, I used to know Tom Pike who collected longrifles, but he passed away years ago!

Offline Longknife

Re: White longrifle made in Pittsburgh, Pa
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
Taken from "THE KENTUCKY RIFLE", Kauffman..... John White was probably the son of the famous gunsmith, Peter White. Both of them worked in Union township, Fayette County. Peter from 1820 to 1834 and John from 1835 to 1840. John moved to Pittsburgh around 1840 and opened a shop on Ferry St. He moved quite frequently and is listed at different addresses in each of the Pittsburgh directories from 1844 to 1858.....
Ed Hamberg

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:53:59 PM »
Also, from Sellers Gunsmiths book is a James White, Pittsburgh, 1816. But no other info. He lists his source as Bowers, but I don't have that book.

I guess we're assuming, so is the gun an antique?

John
John Robbins

8borerifle

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:01:01 PM »
Ed thanks for your reply! I realized I had put this in the wrong forum (senior moment). I will let my cousin Patty know. Her husband Ed Warren died at 82 years old. He was my cousin and married Patty 48 years ago (second marriage). I will see if she will take pictures and send to me and I will post. Very interesting info on Mr. White. This was evidently not a flintlock conversion but original percussion lock. Thanks again for helping a "nubee". I built a longrifle for my dad while I was in high school in the 1960's, Douglas barrel and hand carved stock. I am sure I could do a lot better now!

8borerifle

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »
Thanks for your reply John. Yes it is an antique, I was in a hurry and posted in the wrong forum! Had to take grand son to school. Patty is looking for some kind of value on the rifle. I told her it is impossible without seeing it and then I would have to get an opinion from longrifle collectors. The only values I see are from previous auction results from James Julia in catalogs I receive because of buying and selling in the auction. There is a lot of them coming for sale in the Julia march auction for your info. Thanks again! She probably will give it to her son from a previous marriage.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:21:51 PM »
The info that Whisker gives for  John White (1800-1869) is consistent with the other replies. There is a photo of a nice John White percussion and also one from his father, Peter White (1778-1834), shown in Whisker's  "Gunmakers and Gunsmiths of Western Pa"

8borerifle

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 12:43:04 AM »
Thanks Olut, I am going to call Patty today to see if she will send pictures to me.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 05:53:09 AM »
Pictures would be great!

John
John Robbins