Author Topic: Man Arrested for Possessing an Antique Flintlock Pistol - Part 2, A Question?  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Bill-52

Hopefully returning to the intent of the original topic, which I believe was to inform, I have a question.  Would a firearm license have made a difference in the outcome of this instance?  I ask because I travel through New Jersey every trip from Boston to Pennsylvania, Maryland, etc.  I also have a basic firearm license from Massachusetts and was told that this would facilitate interstate travel with pre-1898 antiques (primarily longrifles).

Moderators:  Please move if necessary.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Bill, It sounds like NJ doesn't respect the laws of other states, so that Mass license might not help you out.

As for the original thread, I don't understand why it was locked by a Mod.

If the Mod's comment that gun control was being discussed had to do with one guy stating that he had a gun shipped through an FFL dealer, well, I think that's stretching the word 'discussed'.

I guess I don't understand the heavy handedness here. Lot's of collectors live on the East Coast and might well pass through NJ, and I would think this info would be considered a public service message to those members on this forum.

John
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:32:51 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline debnal

I am so glad that Frank posted that thread. Up to now, I used to drive through New Jersey twice a year to get to New England. My truck was always loaded with antique guns (flintlocks). I had no idea I was committing a felony! I am a retired Naval officer and if convicted of a felony, my retirement is forfeited. The ultimate irony is that I was in two conflicts to preserve our basic freedoms, and could have easily lost mine.  Not going to happen any more. The drive will take a little longer now but it will balanced out by not having to be in New Jersey.
Al

Offline flinchrocket

I don't think a permit would have made a difference unless he had the pistol locked in a separate
compartment ( according to interstate transportation of firearm laws ) and even then you would
probably get arrested, but you could use the interstate transportation of firearm law as a defense.
This guy has no defense whatsoever by having it in his glove compartment. It's a bad situation.
I don't think Maryland is much better! I would contact the state attorney generals office in every
state I was planning on traveling through and find out exactly what their laws are concerning antique
firearms.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:07:08 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline debnal

Does anyone have any knowledge of any other state where carrying a flintlock in your car is a felony?
Al

Offline debnal

I just came back to this site and reread my last question. It is absurd to the extreme that I would even have to ask such a question in the "land of the free."
Al

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late

As for the original thread, I don't understand why it was locked by a Mod.

If the Mod's comment that gun control was being discussed had to do with one guy stating that he had a gun shipped through an FFL dealer, well, I think that's stretching the word 'discussed'.

I guess I don't understand the heavy handedness here. Lot's of collectors live on the East Coast and might well pass through NJ, and I would think this info would be considered a public service message to those members on this forum.

John

John,

When I read the original thread, it had received 9 replies.  Only 2 of the replies added any information pertinent to the topic.  And all but 1 of the replies either gave an opinion on New Jersey’s gun control laws (absurd, ridiculous, stupid, scary, etc.) or the poster just said they would not visit NJ.  That’s why I locked the thread.

I agree, the original post could be considered a public service message to ALR members.  That’s why I didn’t delete the whole thread.

To all members,
Please refrain from expressing opinions on gun control laws.  Please limit replies to information pertinent to the question in the original post.

-Ron
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:10:15 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
I would contact the state attorney generals office in every state I was planning on traveling through and find out exactly what their laws are concerning antique firearms.

Excellent advice.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie