Author Topic: Silver Mounted Hawken  (Read 6250 times)

realtorone

Silver Mounted Hawken
« on: February 18, 2015, 03:39:24 AM »
I was looking back through some old Gun Reports and on the cover of the April 1960 issue was a beautiful Hawken with an unusual flip down silver patchbox The description given on page 51 is as follows."It is of 54 caliber with a 36 inch octagon barrel. It is half stocked in natural striped maple.The escutcheons on the stock are silver.The patchbox is also silver and has a buffalo engraved on it.The trigger guard,butt plate,barrel tang and breech of the barrel are also engraved."  The article goes on to list two owners living in Austin Texas. Has anyone heard of or seen this Hawken?I don't recall ever hearing of it.

George

Offline louieparker

Re: Silver Mounted Hawken
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:14:59 AM »
George
I know of one silver mounted Hawken.. I don't think its the one you speak of...
Are you saying  the box and trigger guard are silver ? Or could it be possible that they are iron but, cleaned and a bit shiny.  In a black and white photo it might be hard to tell the difference.. The rifle in Texas that I am thinking of would fit that description and has a very much folk art buffalo on the box.. The horns seem to coming out of the shoulders more than the head.. The flat area around the the rear of the lock isn't shaped round like the lock but comes more of a long tapered point.. Its also a J&S.. Does this poor description  sound anything like the cover gun?  Louie

realtorone

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:23:29 PM »
Sent you a PM The photos you sent appear to be the same gun. The description in the Gun Report say Silver.for the patchbox and the escutcheons.I suspect everything else is Iron.Two men owned the rifle jointly in Austin Texas. I will send their names by PM if you like.
Thanks for your reply.

George

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 01:10:45 AM »
Not familiar with the specific Hawken you mention, but some of th silver mounted ones have a silver overlay on an iron box. Teaff in Ohio used that approach as did some North Carolina builders.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »
There is a completely silver mounted Hawken at the Museum in Cody.

As you can see its far from what people think of as a J&S Hawken. The buttstock is shaped much like the "Petersen" Hawken in Baird's book as is the lock plate.
There is also a brass mounted rifle at Cody that is a typical scroll guard "Mountain Rifle" but the TG, BP and other stock mountings are brass.
I have not the slightest doubt there are others out there with sliver inlays etc.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

galamb

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 04:01:55 AM »
There was another silver mounted half-stock Hawken.

A J&S built and presented to Moses White.

I have one picture that someone probably posted up on this site at some point that shows a patchbox which "may" be as you describe.

The rifle must have also been in the possession of the Hawken Shop at some point because they detail it as well (a little).

In this case it is a 54 caliber with a 38" barrel.

(sorry, photo "lacks")

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:46:28 AM »
george ,
the article states that it is silver mounted but it is in error. i'm very familiar with that hawken and the only thing that is silver is the key plates , everything else is iron. like louie stated the metal is somewhat polished and in the photo it looks like silver . but my what a Hawken !!!

realtorone

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 04:12:18 AM »
Thanks for info

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 01:54:13 AM »
The Atchison Hawken also has some mother of pearl inlays in a nautical motif and is nicely engraved.  The Hawken brothers were classically trained Maryland gunsmiths after all.  The Museum has the name of the steamboat "Amaranth" misspelled as "Aramanthe".  There were actually a number of Amaranths, one of which was mentioned by Samuel Clemens as being in a Mississippi River drag race with another boat that blew up with terrible loss of life in the effort.  Such was the ego of a fledgling America that steamboat captains apparently routinely put the lives and limbs of their passengers, as well as their cargo, at risk in impromptu races.  Those riveted iron boilers could only take so much pressure, which was sometimes less than what their captains thought they could.  The amaranth is a flower and was also the name of Atchison's wife, a French beauty, whose grandfather may have been the engineer who built Fort de Chartres.  I have a picture of Captain Atchison, but was never able to get family permission to publish it.  Interestingly, there were three Hawken rifles all owned by St. Louis magnates who were associated by marriage.  Moses White (also a steam boat captain) & Captain Atchison both married daughters of Ferdinand Kennett (lead mine owner and operator of the St. Louis Shot Tower at one point) and all three had Hawken rifles built.  The Kennett rifle is in the Museum of the Ozarks, the White rifle is in private hands, and the Atchison rifle is in the Cody Museum as has been mentioned.  To my knowledge none of the owners ever went West, so I assume the rifles were essentially status symbols.  I did quite a bit of research on the Atchison rifle a few years back with the intent to write an article about it, but never did.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline albert

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 05:12:06 AM »
Roger B.   you need to write that article !!!!
j albert miles