Author Topic: Calibrating outside micrometers  (Read 16209 times)

Naphtali

Calibrating outside micrometers
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:41:56 AM »
I acquired a set of Brown & Sharpe vernier outside micrometers, some of which need calibrating. I have adjustment wrenches for calibrating, but I have no gauge blocks. If it is possible to calibrate without gauge blocks, please identify the procedure. If it is not possible, what should I expect to pay for a machine shop to do it?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:45:32 AM by Naphtali »

coutios

Re: Calibrating outside micrometers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »
  If it's a zero to one, about all you can do is set the zero. Anything else will need a standard or gage block..  As far as cost I'd hate to see anyone charge you for that simple task.. It will take longer to talk about it than do it.. .

Regards
Dave

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 06:27:17 PM »

Which ones need calibrating?  I have standards from one to four inches.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:14:35 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »
I acquired a set of Brown & Sharpe vernier outside micrometers
I'm confused.  Do you have vernier calipers or micrometers?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:28:42 PM »
I acquired a set of Brown & Sharpe vernier outside micrometers
I'm confused.  Do you have vernier calipers or micrometers?

I overlooked the Vernier part. IF it is a real Vernier a standard is easily established
with a micrometer standard of one inch and going from there.If it's a dial caliper.
what I call a VERYnear caliper is another thing entirely.They can and do jump and change
in use.

Bob Roller

coutios

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:12:46 PM »
   Micrometers that have a .0001 scale on them are vernier micrometers. Most people refer to them as tenth micrometers.. ..... Dave

Offline al56

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 05:29:11 AM »
use a bearing.  Find one that is 1" thick.  You could use it on 0-1 and 1-2 mics.  You could also check with your local high school.  Sometime they might have some standards laying around.  A small donation in the form of a gift card to the local hardware store can be really appreciated.

Online Hank*in*WV

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:42 AM »
In a pinch, I've used new drill bits. Seemed to work just fine.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 12:22:27 AM »
Bearings and drill bits.  Good thinkin.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 01:50:24 AM »
If you intend to use those micrometers, it would be worth the expense to buy a set of standards.
Psalms 144

Offline rtadams

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 04:04:41 AM »
3-16-15

Clark B,

This is the gage block 0-1" standard that I recommend that is economical in cost:
Brown & Sharpe Micrometer Checking Set
No. 598 Series  0-1” (12 PCS)
Ten piece selection of gage blocks allows checking of various spindle positions over the complete micrometer range. Two optical flats, for checking anvil faces at half revolutions for measuring flatness. Gage blocks include certificate of calibration.

More Data:
0-1” Range
Catalog No. 598-10-18, EDP No. 27076, Grade 2, Gage Blocks : Included in set of 10 as 1 block each: .105, .210, .315 , .420, .500, .605, .710, .815, .920, 1.000 with 2 Optical Flats: .500 and .5125
Description: 12 Piece block set included in fitted wooden case

Best Regards,

Robert

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »
3-16-15

Clark B,

This is the gage block 0-1" standard that I recommend that is economical in cost:
Brown & Sharpe Micrometer Checking Set
No. 598 Series  0-1” (12 PCS)
Ten piece selection of gage blocks allows checking of various spindle positions over the complete micrometer range. Two optical flats, for checking anvil faces at half revolutions for measuring flatness. Gage blocks include certificate of calibration.

More Data:
0-1” Range
Catalog No. 598-10-18, EDP No. 27076, Grade 2, Gage Blocks : Included in set of 10 as 1 block each: .105, .210, .315 , .420, .500, .605, .710, .815, .920, 1.000 with 2 Optical Flats: .500 and .5125
Description: 12 Piece block set included in fitted wooden case

Best Regards,

Robert

Bill Large and I always used a minimum torque when checking whatever we measured
with the outside micrometer.I have adjusted micrometers that may have been used as
a "C"clamp and some were not really useable due to the mating surfaces of the anvil
being off of true flat.
Are adjustable parallels still being used to teach micrometer and depth measurements??
When I worked in other shops,I was the only one who had a set of these parallels and
most of the other guys didn't know what they were and NONE of them could adjust a
depth micrometer to a zero reading.

Bob Roller

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 11:16:02 PM »

Are adjustable parallels still being used to teach micrometer and depth measurements??
When I worked in other shops,I was the only one who had a set of these parallels and
most of the other guys didn't know what they were and NONE of them could adjust a

Bob Roller
[/quote]
And even if a person can zero a depth mic, how many are smart enough to read the scale?  ???
David

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 01:05:47 AM »
I was given a dual-scale Mitutoyo vernier caliper, because only one guy could use it at that workplace.

I love it because I can work in metric or thous (simultaneously), no buttons, no batteries! Sold the silly battery eating Starrett right away.

Hold to the Wind

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 01:14:25 AM »

Bob Roller
And even if a person can zero a depth mic, how many are smart enough to read the scale?  ???
David
[/quote]

I don't know how many could read the calibrations.It's not a complicated tool.Back when I was
working with rolling block rifles I used mine to calculate the length of the barrel's threaded area
when rebarreling one.This is done by clamping the action in a padded vise and having a friend or
wife pull hard on the block while I got the depth reading across the front of the action to the face of the block.
I have also used it to find the true depth of a breech plug thread.I don't trust these "Verynear"dial calipers with the depth stem.

Bob Roller

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 01:19:46 AM »
I was given a dual-scale Mitutoyo vernier caliper, because only one guy could use it at that workplace.

I love it because I can work in metric or thous (simultaneously), no buttons, no batteries! Sold the silly battery eating Starrett right away.

NO BATTERIES!!! I'm aghast.HOW can it work with no batteries??? Actually,I also have a dual reading Vernier caliper made by Scherr Tumico in St.Cloud Minnesota.Used it a lot in the mid 1980's in a Babbit bearing shop where I worked at the time.

Bob Roller

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 01:28:27 AM »
Calibrating outside mics is easy. Calibrating the depth mics is a lot more touchy.

I had a general manager once that was famous for using his mics like they were C clamps. One day he asked me to make a part real fast while my tools were at the other end of the shop. He told me to just use his mics, I told him, "not when I am the one who will get a butt chewing for those parts not being in spec." He got a little hot under the collar over that one.
Psalms 144

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
Calibrating outside mics is easy. Calibrating the depth mics is a lot more touchy.

I had a general manager once that was famous for using his mics like they were C clamps. One day he asked me to make a part real fast while my tools were at the other end of the shop. He told me to just use his mics, I told him, "not when I am the one who will get a butt chewing for those parts not being in spec." He got a little hot under the collar over that one.

One more GOOD reason to never loan precision tools.

Bob Roller

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 11:50:39 PM »
i know of a guy who got fired for using micrometers for c clamps to glue something back when quaker city gear works was in business and had government contracts.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
i know of a guy who got fired for using micrometers for c clamps to glue something back when quaker city gear works was in business and had government contracts.

Another reason to NEVER loan expensive tools,not even the "metric"Cresacent wrenches.

Bob Roller