Author Topic: WV Rifles  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
WV Rifles
« on: February 22, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »
Here are a couple WV Rifles with a little Civil War History. I was kind of surprised they had stayed together so long. They  made it all the way to the West Coast. While not together any longer they both are back in West Virginia. Heck when they left here, we might have been Virginia.

http://hampshirecountylongrifles.blogspot.com/

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: WV Rifles
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »
Nice old rifles,and nicely done research.How y'all up there in the mountains?We are sorta iced in here on Crede mountain.Some folks coming and going.Too icy for this ol coon.Best regards,Dave F

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 09:19:13 PM »

Here are a couple WV Rifles with a little Civil War History. I was kind of surprised they had stayed together so long. They  made it all the way to the West Coast. While not together any longer they both are back in West Virginia. Heck when they left here, we might have been Virginia.

Avlrc,
Good research, its good to see folks take the time to post their research for others benefit. So many want to keep it to themselves and when they pass on its all gone!

Very interesting to read the period letters.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 10:17:27 PM »
Again, "well done, my friend!!!!".

Offline VP

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:36:58 AM »
I have to agree with Dennis. Great research and thanks for sharing.

VP

longrifle

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:41:14 AM »
Very nice rifles very interesting research, glad you could link the two together.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 02:05:48 AM »

Avlrc,
Good research, its good to see folks take the time to post their research for others benefit. So many want to keep it to themselves and when they pass on its all gone!

Very interesting to read the period letters.
Dennis

Thanks for all the nice comments. That is kind of funny that some collectors find out good info and never share it, never  could figure that one out. But everyone always says they can't believe how I find out this  stuff. Most all of it is online, you just got to take a few hours a week or so and find it. I find 75% of  it on ancestry.com, fold3.com, & several free sites. Plus once you find an descendant of one you are searching for, they will do most of the work for you and be happy about it.  ;D

While I am not having the impact this great site ( ALR ) is having, it all adds up. As most of you on here know if we don't share our hobby , it will just blow away. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 02:15:34 AM »
As most of you on here know if we don't share our hobby , it will just blow away. 
Amen.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 06:40:35 AM »
Great research and good information. Thank you for posting it here. I doubt if anyone could have identified a rifle by Nelson, prior to this.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 03:03:50 PM »
That is great stuff.  It's funny that as you say some folks will not share what they learn or know.  I have found several times in my research on the Shreckengosts that there are family members who absolutely will not share what they know.  Some will not even let anyone see their rifles.  I can think of two such cases, both being people who have swivel breech rifles.  In another case, I have Levi Shreckengost's great granddaughter stating unequivocally that he was never a gunsmith.  Levi had about 10 children as did his brother Lincoln and strangely, I have found no written records or even letters by their hand.  Only a daybook by Levi that has gotten out of the family and likely in another generation will be lost.  Maybe I should focus on paperwork more than chasing after rifles.  It could be more rewarding.
    Anyway, nice research and interesting rifles.  I am going to have to save those letters to file so I can enlarge them to read them.  Thanks
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:04:32 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.