Author Topic: Windage adjustment  (Read 2716 times)

Bluegoose23

Windage adjustment
« on: February 23, 2015, 06:15:21 AM »
Again I will state I'm new at this as an excuse for possibly sounding like a idiot.  Anyway I'm working on sighting in my rifle.   My question is: Is it better to drift the front or rear sight for windage or does it matter.  Both of mine are dovetailed in.   

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Windage adjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 06:25:09 AM »
I like the front sight to be set in the middle/centre of the barrel. If I make any adjustments, i.e. with an adjustable rear sight, the front stays where it is. But, unless it's my target rifle, my long rifles all have non adjustable sights , so the rear sight is centred as well.  If the rear sight needs to be set much off the centreline, you have a barrel problem IMO.  So, to answer your question, drift the rear sight in the direction you want the ball to go.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »
Hi Bluegoose. 

I will share what was shared with me.  First, do your load testing and shoot for group size.  Don't worry about where it is on the paper. 

Once settled on a tight-shooting load, then worry about regulating your sights.

I have experience with a longrifle constructed by a novice.  The barrel was unmarked by the maker.  The novice didn't account for runout, or didn't know where the runout was.  Runout is the small error in boring a barrel versus the exterior profile.  Good barrel makers either have no runout, or they make sure and mark the barrel so the runout is at the top or bottom, and that can be handled with filing the sights.  Horizontal runout has to get handled by drifting the sight(s). 

In the case of the rifle above, the runout results in a rifle with the rear sight hanging off to one side in an unsightly manner.  The solution there is to "fudge" with both sights.....the front one way and the rear the other way.  It isn't perfect, but better than the rear hanging way out to one side. 

As was shared previously, the rear sight needs to be moved in the direction you want the group to move.  The front sight is the opposite. 

There are many here with vastly more knowledge of longrifles than me.  I am just sharing with you what I learned along the way from helpful folks.  If I have mis-spoken, I welcome correction. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:34:21 PM »
I agree,  work on a tight group first so you'll have a better idea how much the sights need to be adjusted, then try for keeping the front sight centered on the flat (mainly just 'cause it looks better), and drift the rear sight.   

The other question about sighting in that usually comes up about now is how to calculate how much to move the sight.   Measure the distance between the back of the front sight and the rear sight: that's your sight radius.  Distance to move the sight is Sight Radius times distance to move the group divided by distance to target in inches.   Suppose Sight Radius is 24 inches.   Then if you decide that you want to move your tight group 1.5" to the left at 50 yards (which equals 1800 inches), then you'd want to drift the rear sight 24*1.5/1800  , or .020"  to the left.  That same formula works for vertical adjustments as well.