Author Topic: Anniversary Fusil De Chasse  (Read 7395 times)

Offline mab7

Anniversary Fusil De Chasse
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:41:45 AM »
I'm not really certain which forum would be most appropriate, so I went with this one...
This weekend, I made a two-fold trip to Arkansas. The primary reason was to get away for our 26th wedding anniversary and the second to take delivery of my present - the pictured fusil de chasse. I tried to take pictures but I was not up to the task. My daugher agreed to take pictures with her DSLR (at the price of dinner!) but as it turned out, she had some of the same photography issues I did, even with her DSLR. I salvaged the best of what she took, which still don't do it justice...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Anniversary Fusil De Chasse
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »
Looks like a fusil fin to me. Nice. Caywood?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:31:57 AM »
Nice anniversary present.

Offline mab7

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:12:19 AM »
Looks like a fusil fin to me. Nice. Caywood?

Yes - Danny Caywood was the builder, and a very gracious, and fun, host as well.
I'm not going to lie - I told Danny I wanted a .62 smoothbore / 20 gauge fowler and he said he could fix me up. I have been told Fusil De Chasse, Type C Fusil and Fusil Fin. I don't know enough to know the difference but I am learning. For no more than we discussed, it fits me like a glove, the sights fall into line perfectly and there is absolutely zero cheek slap. I had one guy send me a two page dissertation on the differences between fowler, fusil and the various types...

I can tell you it's a shooter! We fired three loads - 75 grains 2F and matching volume of #6 magnum shot which comes out about 1.06 ounce. Using nothing but overshot cards it patterned very nicely and I would have no qualms pulling the trigger on a turkey at 30 yards right now with no further testing. He jug choked it at modified. We shot two .595 ball loads off hand at 25 paces using 75 grains 2F and both printed about 4" left and 2" low. Both holes were touching. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't too cooperative so we had to stop there. When the weather decides to steaighten out a little, i am going to try difffering card and wad combinations, charge levels of both powder and shot, powder granulation, etc...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
Sounds like you have a barrel bending session in your future. Not unusual for smooth bored barrels.
 You're going to like that jug choke, only way to go.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daniel

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
Congrats on 26 years. We will be 42 years in September.
Beautiful gun too.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:34:27 PM »
Your load of 75gr/1oz using only overshot cards has been my 20ga load for something like 30 years. One measure, one card--and #6 my most used shot by far.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline mab7

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 10:55:32 PM »
The shot loads were three cards over the powder and one card over the shot.
The round ball load was powder - one card - patched ball - one card. The patching was entirely too thin and we were in a hurry due to the weather. I am pretty sure the point of impact had more to do with me than the gun. It was offhand and I was shaking due to the weather.

Once I have a couple of hours and better weather at the same time, I will put her through the paces and see what she will really do.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 07:10:54 PM »
I have 2 barrels jug choked by Danny an both are shooters. Nice annv. present Congrats to you both ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »
That's a very fine present, to say the least.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Belleville

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
Very nice fusil. Wish someone had told my wife years ago that a new flintlock was an appropriate anniversary gift; I could have had over 4 dozen by now!

Doc S.