Author Topic: Two-piece swaged slugs for competition  (Read 3118 times)

Naphtali

Two-piece swaged slugs for competition
« on: February 23, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
Some slug gun competitors swage two-piece bullets, base being softer than nose. Among these I anticipate some swaged bullets are [also] mechanically joined in addition to the swage, perhaps by a male teat inserted into a female hole. Would the male to be inserted be integral with soft base or with harder nose?

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Two-piece swaged slugs for competition
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:14:49 PM »
Some slug gun competitors swage two-piece bullets, base being softer than nose. Among these I anticipate some swaged bullets are [also] mechanically joined in addition to the swage, perhaps by a male teat inserted into a female hole. Would the male to be inserted be integral with soft base or with harder nose?

The inserted male portion is a common way to keep these bullets from coming apart in flight.
In 1970 Bill Large made a very heavy slug gun for a local man and made the moulds for the
composite bullet.I personally tested this rifle at 200 yards and shot a 5 shot group that I covered
with a quarter coin.It was an underhammer with a sealed ignition using a pistol primer.
The sight was a telescope that was furnished by the owner.

Bob Roller

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »

Find a copy of Ned Roberts "The ML Caplock Rifle". The information is all out there if you just get the books. Everyone that is interested in ML rifles needs this book and a number of others.
If the bullet is properly designed there is no need for the two piece bullet. Very hard, or hard nosed bullets are only needed if the nose has a long ogive and slumps during initial acceleration.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Naphtali

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:58:02 AM »
Mr. Roller:

Was male the hard section, or was it the soft section?

A few years before his death, a friend and I visited Mr. Large. At the time he was experimenting with "88 gain twist" rifling - he claimed it was copied from the I.D. of a German 88 mm antiaircrft gun. Although intended for round balls, the one gain twist barrel he had made to test didn't appear to demonstrate a significant improvement in accuracy or velocity compared with his non-progressive rifling - at least on the barrel he showed us. As far as you know, did Mr. Large enter production of this type of twist?

The inserted male portion is a common way to keep these bullets from coming apart in flight.
In 1970 Bill Large made a very heavy slug gun for a local man and made the moulds for the
composite bullet.I personally tested this rifle at 200 yards and shot a 5 shot group that I covered
with a quarter coin.It was an underhammer with a sealed ignition using a pistol primer.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:38:23 AM »
Mr. Roller:

Was male the hard section, or was it the soft section?

A few years before his death, a friend and I visited Mr. Large. At the time he was experimenting with "88 gain twist" rifling - he claimed it was copied from the I.D. of a German 88 mm antiaircrft gun. Although intended for round balls, the one gain twist barrel he had made to test didn't appear to demonstrate a significant improvement in accuracy or velocity compared with his non-progressive rifling - at least on the barrel he showed us. As far as you know, did Mr. Large enter production of this type of twist?

Bob Roller
The soft section (base) had the projection but using two moulds either way can be accomplished.
The gain twist Bill Large was experimenting with shot quite well with a round ball. He did make
a number of gain twist barrels and the feed back on them was positive.
On the composite bullets,the only reason I can think of for a hard forward section would be to prevent
possible deformation during the loading process.I don't remember the progression of the gain twist Bill
made but I did help make the gain twist guide for a hand rifling machine that was all steel construction.
The slug gun I mentioned earlier was a 45,composite about 550 grains and false muzzle for a two strip
paper patch lubed with sperm oil.

Bob Roller