Author Topic: Shooting the .30 cal. Squirrel rifle  (Read 6962 times)

Offline okawbow

Shooting the .30 cal. Squirrel rifle
« on: February 24, 2015, 03:01:48 AM »
Got a pleasant surprise yesterday, when I shot my new rifle that I recently finished. The load was 25 grains 3f, a .300 ball, .012" thick patch. The L&R Manton flintlock went off so fast, I could hardly hear any lag at all.

The temp was about 10 degrees, and the snow was about 10" deep. I waded into the woods and set a target at 25 yards. My first 5 shots  grouped tightly, about 7 o'clock.  I filed down the front sight and tapped the back sight a little, and the next few shots were dead center. The little rifle shoots as well as I can hold her. All shots were offhand, and the groups would fit inside a squirrels head.

I used spit lube and had no problem ramming the load down, even with the tiny hickory ramrod. The Charles Burton barrel has good, deep rifling, 1/48" and opens up a couple thousands from muzzle to breech. Loads real nice. Of course, I had to use a starter for the .300 ball, as it is the same diameter as the bore.

Gonna be a deadly little hunting rifle.

P2120645 by okawbow, on Flickr
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
Re: Shooting the .30 cal. Squirrel rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »
okawbow   
                  That is a fine rifle you have there and sounds like a fine shooter too.That looks like the one that got me started in this fine tradition so many years ago,and the fire dont seem to be goin out.A slim small bore just has a look all its own,esp a southern mt gun.Looks like the fun is just startin all over again. Curt

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »
Well done old chap.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:37:30 PM »
You'll like the .30 and it will perform well if you feed and clean it properly. I have an old Bill Large barreled rifle in what I will call a .30 but actually mike's out at .29. I use a .285 ball with .015 pre lubed patches and 20-25 grains of FFFg. Shoots real well.
Mark
Mark

Offline okawbow

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:52:18 PM »
I found that the .30 cal. With its Burton barrel, loaded easier that my Green Mountain .36. I shot several times without cleaning, and it was easy to get the ball down and seated properly each time.

The only problem I encountered was handling the pea sized ball. I had to put my cheaters on to see the sprue. My cold fingers had trouble keeping ahold of the ball, and getting it started.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:51:16 AM »
You'll like the .30 and it will perform well if you feed and clean it properly. I have an old Bill Large barreled rifle in what I will call a .30 but actually mike's out at .29. I use a .285 ball with .015 pre lubed patches and 20-25 grains of FFFg. Shoots real well.
Mark
I had a .30 caliber rifle with a Bill Large barrel. It would shoot well but it was the most aggravating thing to clean and load that I have had to deal with. I sold it for that reason. I was always afraid I was going to break the ram rod so I made a polished steel one and it wasn't much better. I then made a .32 with a Rice round bottomed rifled barrel which is easier to load/clean but still not what I want. I once had a 36 that seemed just right but I sold it. Have another 36 barrel and when I get round-to-it I am going to make another 36 caliber squirrel rifle with a 38 inch A profile barrel. The 44 inch looks sexy but I prefer the 38 inch. 
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:41:48 AM »
That's a great looking rifle in a fine caliber; will be murder on squirrels.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 02:13:43 AM »
Mark
I had a .30 caliber rifle with a Bill Large barrel. It would shoot well but it was the most aggravating thing to clean and load that I have had to deal with. I sold it for that reason. I was always afraid I was going to break the ram rod so I made a polished steel one and it wasn't much better. I then made a .32 with a Rice round bottomed rifled barrel which is easier to load/clean but still not what I want. I once had a 36 that seemed just right but I sold it. Have another 36 barrel and when I get round-to-it I am going to make another 36 caliber squirrel rifle with a 38 inch A profile barrel. The 44 inch looks sexy but I prefer the 38 inch.  
Dennis

I was originally going to make the barrel 36" or 38", but decided to hand swamp the 3/4" straight barrel a little. Even with the 42" barrel; the weight stayed about 7 pounds. Just right for offhand shooting for me.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:54:31 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 02:31:56 AM »
Mark, have we ever been treated to a photo or 2 of your .29? We need lotsa photos in the skwerrel rifle thread. That's a good little archive that's building.

Dennis, I think my .25 is twice the trouble to load and clean as my .50's (direct inverse relationship?), but some days it's twice the fun.

Little bores like these are why loading blocks and starters were invented.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 03:02:33 AM »
Little bores like these are why loading blocks and starters were invented.
Actually mine was marked as 30 cal but it actually measured .29.

I used a starter, never did make a loading block, not sure it would have helped. I had to use a pretty thick patch or else it tore when loading. Probably could have gotten a smaller ball and stopped that problem but the cleaning was a bear and it seemed to need wiping between shots which I hate! If I used Lehigh Valley Lube I could hardly seat the ball, but when I used it, it didn't seem to foul so bad. I used a concoction of bear grease and beewwax, loaded easier but fouled badly. Just spoiled to larger calibers I guess. My large arthritic hands work better with the larger calibers.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 03:59:11 AM »
Nice looking rifle!

Offline EC121

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:05:57 AM »
I use a .300 ball and a .010 patch from TOTW.  I also took a needle file and just barely rounded the edges of both the lands and grooves of the muzzle crown.  Didn't affect the group.  Loads easy and cleaning isn't a problem.  I use a 5/16 rod plastic rod turned down to fit the bore.  Also use a two loading blocks for easy ball handling.  I'm good for 15 rounds before I run out of balls.
Brice Stultz

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
I once had a 36 that seemed just right but I sold it.

Why is it that we do this to ourselves????
Seems to happen again and again. :'(

Offline Dan

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 02:22:57 AM »
I use a .300 ball and a .010 patch from TOTW.  I also took a needle file and just barely rounded the edges of both the lands and grooves of the muzzle crown.  Didn't affect the group.  Loads easy and cleaning isn't a problem.  I use a 5/16 rod plastic rod turned down to fit the bore.  Also use a two loading blocks for easy ball handling.  I'm good for 15 rounds before I run out of balls.

God save the Queen!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 08:27:49 PM »
Dave R. had a little .28 at the Hefley Creek Rendezvous the year he and his charming wife visited.  Dave did 'right fine' with that little rifle on the squirrel walk. I think he had a 1/4" split hickory rod - worked just fine.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V