Author Topic: Jaeger Percussion? ( Pictures added)  (Read 10564 times)

pflyman

Jaeger Percussion? ( Pictures added)
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »
I'm not a collector but when I saw this at a local gunshow this weekend, I had to get it. Before and after purchasing, I researched on-line the maker identified as Carl Martin.   I found a similar rifle by the same maker that was sold at auction in Sweden last year.  The notes on that rifle stated:   "ca 1850, lock and barrel signed Carl Martin a Weimar, twisted barrel, engraved mounts, half stock, 106 cm, caliber ca 14 mm".   That rifle was quite similar but perhaps not as fancy.  If my photos come through, I have the following questions:
Is this a typical Jaeger rifle?
Are German barrels of this vintage typically swamped?
What is the correct terminology for this barrel (i.e. Damascus, "twisted")?
Does anyone have any information on this maker?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:32:18 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

pflyman

Re: Jaeger Percussion?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:16:19 AM »
It appears my photos did not display; therefore, I will attempt to re-size them and insert once again.  Please be patient with a novice.

Dave

pflyman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:01:21 AM »
Photos still failing to display.  Could someone give me some guidance?

Thank you

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:43:15 AM »
they must be hosted remotely.  there's a tutorial.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

we keep it hidden to reduce wear and tear.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:02:13 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 04:33:27 PM »
pflyman,
I looked at what you had in the post. You have the img code in the proper place but that is NOT a valid URL (here is what you used for the URL http://P1010459.jpg ) It looks like you just added http:// to the front of your photo name.

You must first get your photo on a website of some type, many use photobucket others use tinypic but any website will work. Once the photo is on a website it will have a URL similiar to this one http://www.americanlongrifles.org/1-images-main/logo-header.jpg (this one is for the rifle in the header for this page) The tutorial mentioned should better explain this.

http://P1010459.jpg
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

pflyman

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »
I received an email from the moderator (Hurricane).   I emailed the photos to him and he has agreed to post them (perhaps tomorrow).
Thank you for chiming in.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Jaeger Percussion? ( Pictures added)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »
There was a very similar rifle on Facebook for sale not long ago that I was tempted to buy.  It was very reasonably
priced.  Nice find.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

George Roberts

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:04 PM »
It appears as though there is a symmetric bolster on the left side.  Is there any evidence of there being a lock on that side?  Could you post pictures of that side?  With a single barrel, would have to wonder about superposed loads.
Very elegant gun.
Thanks, George

grouchy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
Is it ambidextrous? ned

Offline huntinguy

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 07:17:22 PM »
that is a very interesting lock. I wonder how it works.

It is very interesting how the hammer is trapped. It can not over rotate in either direction. Considering the time period when the rifle was made, someone was just showing off.   :o

The fellow that built it surely knew his craft.

is that a hole in the stock in the fourth picture? wonder what it was for?

do you have a picture of the opposite side? and the muzzle?

Oh, I believe that is what they call Damascus (or at the very least made to look like it.)
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

pflyman

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 10:36:31 PM »
It does appear that it was set up for left or right hand use; however, I can't see any evidence that a left hand hammer was ever installed. I have attached several photos to demonstrate this.

There is no hole in the stock.   You were either referring to the pupil in the eye, or to an incised portion of the mane.

I hope the new photos help clarify.

pflyman

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
I will get this right:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:13:53 AM by Dennis Glazener »

pflyman

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:52:19 PM »
and the muzzle:

George Roberts

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 02:07:36 AM »
pflyman,
Thank you for the additional views.  I am still mystified by the symmetrical bolsters.  If the rifle were cased originally, there may have been a second lock provided as an option for a left handed shooter.  There is a rounded protuberance in the left bolster, in the spot where a nipple would be on the right.  Does that rounded object look like it could be removed?
Very interesting and beautiful rifle. Thanks.
George Roberts

pflyman

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:18:51 AM »
To my untrained eye, it looks like it might be possible to remove the rounded object; however, it was certainly not designed for easy removal by the user.   

Offline acorn20

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 07:14:20 PM »
A very elegant rifle indeed!

I have a half-stock .40 caliber original flinter that shares some of the characteristics of yours from the trigger guard to the butt including the size and shape of the patch box.  Overall size is about the same as well.  It's marked Fischer.
Dan Akers

Offline JDK

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 07:37:36 PM »
Dave,

Have you gotten a light down the barrel to see if the rifling in straight or if it has some twist?

I like how the eight grooves line up with the corners of the octagon at the muzzle. Nice touch.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

George Roberts

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »
The side plate has the same shape as the lock plate.  That also could argue in favor of interchangeable locks.

Offline JDK

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
The side plate has the same shape as the lock plate.  That also could argue in favor of interchangeable locks.

Back up lock works?  Neat idea, but there's no allowance for a hammer on the left side.  No tumbler hole.

I'd venture to guess that the builder was going after symmetry, daring to be different, but who knows???

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

pflyman

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 09:49:49 PM »
Did get a light down barrel before purchasing.  I was amazed at how clean it was.   The gentlemen that sold it to me provided the following information although he admitted that his measurements were crude:

"8 groove rifling is extra deeply grooved"
"Lands about .593"
""Grooves about .637"
"Twist about 1 turn/54"'

When he fired it, he used a .570 Speer round ball with .015 thick Wonderlube patch and suggested that if I fired it I might go slightly thicker with the patch

hammer

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 09:54:02 PM »
I suspect the left 'lock plate' is a blank.  To possibly be replaced with a pukka lock?   Not much room then between the two locks to give strength to the stock in that region.  I would be tempted to remove the plate to see what was behind.    A secret door to another world?   Who knows.

Offline JDK

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:54 PM »
Did get a light down barrel before purchasing.  I was amazed at how clean it was.   The gentlemen that sold it to me provided the following information although he admitted that his measurements were crude:

"8 groove rifling is extra deeply grooved"
"Lands about .593"
""Grooves about .637"
"Twist about 1 turn/54"'

When he fired it, he used a .570 Speer round ball with .015 thick Wonderlube patch and suggested that if I fired it I might go slightly thicker with the patch

Thanks.  Nice rifle.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

George Roberts

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 02:16:05 AM »
If the side plate is removed and shows inletting for a functional lock, we would have our answer.  If it isn't inlet, then we are still left with the question of why the double bolster?
George