Author Topic: What Is This ?  (Read 10089 times)

Offline Feltwad

What Is This ?
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »
Went to my local auction yesterday here in the UK and bought the following of which I have little experience .The gun was one of four and advertised has a Plains Rifle  for which I have doubts it has a 31inch octagonal 50 calibre barrel with a 7 grove twist and measures 1.1/4 inches across the flats , Buck horn sight with a blade fore sight. The stock is maple  no cheek piece , set triggers, percussion lock
Feltwad

>

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:01:31 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Dave B

Re: What Is This ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:23:21 PM »
The rifle certainly has the look of a plains rifle. Massive barrel how ever so more for target shooting than lugging across the plains? Any marks on the barrel if you have had it out? It looks to be in pretty good shape, great find.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:54:02 PM »
  Basically, these were horsemen's rifles. Carried across the pommel, the weight wouldn't have been a factor. And it could be a target rifle, tho the simple sights are more apt to be found on a hunting rifle. It looks like a great find regardless.
                                                            Dan

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
Dave 
There are no marks on the barrel , no cheek piece  .
Feltwad

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »
  Do you have a close up of the lock? Does it have any markings inside the lock?
                                                        Dan

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
  Do you have a close up of the lock? Does it have any markings inside the lock?
                                                        Dan

Give me a day and I will remove the lock and photograph
Feltwad

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:31:58 PM »
Thanks.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 08:35:37 PM »
Feltwad, Neat rifle, and to me it looks like one typical made in the 1840s / 1860s.
The extra big barrel and the buckhorn sight certainly give it that Plains Rifle look, and it probably is a Western made ( West of the Mississippi) rifle, so certainly would be considered as a Plains Rifle. By that time period there was little use for a 50 cal back east, but still plenty of big game out west. The Buckhorn was also an out west type of sight.

No cheek piece is a bit unusual, but not unheard of. Is there any signs of a cheek piece having been there originally? Also, I wonder if there's any indication that the barrel has been shortened from the breech end, as 31 inches seems a bit short.

Dave B mentioned the possibility of a target rifle, and that possible, but I'd think probably not. I think it's just a big barreled gun made for heavy loads. Today's rifles tend to be on the lighter side, but several of my old Kentucky's weigh in at 10 to 12 pounds so I don't think that weight was as much an issue as today. Consider that most western guys were used to manual labor and weren't fat and out of shape couch potato's like a lot of people today, so lugging what we think of as a heavy rifle wasn't that big of deal.
I doubt you'll find any markings inside the lock, but there might be a barrel makers name stamped on one of the under side flats of the barrel back near the breech. An inside picture of the lock works would be interesting, and show what quality the rifle was originally built too.

All in all it looks like a pretty nice rifle, and any addition pictures would be appreciated! And I'll be it went pretty inexpensively over your way!

John    
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:30:11 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »
Very cool rifle!  I once restocked a similar rifle that was ~ .40 cal. and the barrel measured 1 3/8" AF at the breech, with a very gentle taper to the muzzle.  This rifle was stocked in Black Walnut though, had an Eastern Seaboard trigger guard, butt plate, and cheek piece, and several un-engraved German Silver inlays.  But I'm of the same opinion about your rifle Feltwad - I think it's a plains rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »
From what little I've learned about the subject, I'd have to say it sure does look like a plains rifle to me.  That barrel, though, is a real Hoss. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 12:14:49 AM »
I have enclosed images of the lock which I must say is not of the best but it works ,there are no markings also enclosed is reverse side of the gun which shows no cheek piece.
Feltwad

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:27:03 AM by Feltwad »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 12:47:50 AM »
Wow, that bbl strikes me as horribly short, but then--it's hefty.  Those guns are yet outside of my area of knowledge, but thanks for sharing. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline gibster

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 12:55:34 AM »
The barrel may have been shortened to carry under the seat in a buggy or wagon.  The weight wouldn't have mattered then either.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 01:14:53 AM »
The rifling shows a 3/4 turn in barrel length {31inches}
Feltwad

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 01:43:09 AM »
That lock is actually pretty nice for the time, but is also missing the original main spring.
As for the barrel, if you figure the rifle originally had three RR thimbles, if you extrapolate it out, you're missing about 12 inches of barrel. Looks like an extra 12 inches would also put the rear sight pretty much over the rear ramrod pipe, where you'd expect it to be. At least according to what I can do on my computer screen. Lugging another 12 inches of 1 1/4" diameter barrel around would no doubt turn into a burden pretty quickly!

John 
John Robbins

longrifle

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 03:24:26 AM »
It looks like a plain's rifle 1840 - 1850 very nice great score.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 10:35:46 PM »
To all those that answered this tread your information was appreciated ,thank you
Feltwad

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
What may be of interest to some  this 50 cal plains type percussion rifle is now entered in the Holts  October 2015 Sealed Bid  Sale ,Lot 2275
Feltwad

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 05:26:04 PM »
 California made rifle often lack a cheek rest , and often have short barrels. I have also examined two serviorly damaged rifles similar to this one. One was made by Andrew Werflein, and the other one was made Edward Tryon, They both had very short heavy barrels, that appeared to be of original length. One was .50 cal. And the other was .58 cal. Like this gun neither one showed saddle wear on the forearm. I suspect they  were buggy guns. OBTW, the Werflein had no cheek rest.

Hungry Horse

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »
For those interested this gun sold for £580 sterling plus commission at Holts Auction  UK.
Feltwad
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:21:08 PM by Feltwad »

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 02:02:48 PM »
It looks like a "plains"rifle but I think it was made here in the Eastern USA. The short barrel made it easier to carry thru bushes and on horse back. I have seen a number of these barrels in Bill Large's shop back in the days when he was recutting (rerifling) this type and other antiques.
I restocked one of these for E.M.Farris in the late 1950's,probably about 1958 in black walnut using the parts he had.

Bob Roller

Offline hudson

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
Not being a expert my thought mite be out of place but here goes. First with a drum and nipple and general style mite it be an Ohio rifle modified for western use. Last except for breach and if tapered barrel I think California rifle.