Author Topic: 10ga range results  (Read 6748 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
10ga range results
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:06:59 AM »

OK, took the new 10ga NE Fowler to the range.... couldn't be more pleased with the results

First two shots out of the barrel, touching @ POA @ 25 yards

Great shot patterns @ 25yards and 50 yards.

Can't wait to try some #4 and #2 shot.

What do ya think??

In His grip,

Dane

northmn

Re: 10ga range results
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:15:39 PM »
Smooth bores are fun aren't they.  I like the big ones better than the little ones but I bet the round ball got your attention.  They are meat guns pure and simple.  One way I have used to attain a limited shot for testing is through breaking open modern shells.  Have done so to get Bismuth and odd size lead to try.  Have a box of chilled 4's I am going to do that with as I do not shoot that load in a modern gun.

DP

AJ

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:28:52 PM »
I have a suggestion to improve your pattern density.

When I was patterning my 16 gauge trade gun I first use 75 grs 3FFF,3 overshot cards, felt wad, overshot card, 1 3/8 ozs copper plated #5,over shot card. My test target was at 20 yds. The image below was the results.

I then added Jiffy corn-meal muffin mix as a buffer for the second target. Since I didn't have any other turkey targets I use an 8" splatter target at 20 yds. Picture two shows the results.

Granted 20 yds is close but, I needed to start somewhere. What I need to do is continue to increase my range until the pattern is no longer acceptable. Unfortunitly work and family has taken a major amount of my time. I will post my newest results as time permits.

I used muffin mix not just straight corn meal; it has added fats that is not in plain corn meal. It has a stickier consistency. Not knowing how much to use I took clear plastic tube punched a hole in the bottom. I placed an overshot card in the bottom, added the shot, then started with the corn meal muffin mix. I added a little at a time and tap the sides of the container to get the mix to filter down. I used a LEE dipper don't remember the amount I'll check when I get home. I continued this until the mix surrounded the shot. It takes quite a while to get the muffin mix to filter down around the shot. I then placed another overshot card in the tube, placed it on top of the barrel and used a small dowel rod to get everthing in the barrel. With a range rod I seated the whole thing. I plan to use this same concept for loading in the field, it may not be PC but......

The gun shot a little left but that is easily fixed. I was just concerned with pattern density.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »
AJ,

It looks good, but one question.... did you seat the whole thing, INCLUDING the plastic tube???
In His grip,

Dane

AJ

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 06:13:54 PM »
No, I just used the plastic container to watch how the corn meal muffin mix would filter around the shot.  I then use a dowel through the bottom of the tube to transfer the shot column into the barrel.  I realize it is a long process, but, for turkey hunting I figured I would only have one shot so try to make it the best I can.

I did have some good results with "paper shot cups", but once in a while one would not open and I would have a slug going down range.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:31:54 PM »
While corn meal does work and is "authentic" I guess, with the wadding have you ever considered genuine buffer?  It is lighter and made for the task.  You can avoid the slug effect by putting slits in the paper so that it folds out when shot.  Add a little shot, a little buffer etc.  Your patterns look good for turkeys.

DP

AJ

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »
DP, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give it a try, a little at a time, should be easier in the long run.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 04:58:10 AM »
I see dead turkeys all round.  Good work, guys.  The Reminton shot buffer is a bit less coarse than WW buffer and should settle easier. I'd be sure to use a good over powder wad, though. Any blow through of BP flame is likely to stick soem to the bore's walls - maybe, don't know for sure.

JBlk

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 01:40:21 AM »
While reloading modern shotgun shells for giant canadian geese I used copper plated #5s with 23 grains of greendot.The load was deadly on geese.Does your 10 ga have any choke? I use an original Belgium ml made 12 ga with no choking and and I have never been happy with the patterns.I have thought about using plastic shot cups over my wads but I haven't tried that yet.I have a large variety of different sized shot.If you want to experiment with different sizes  mail me and I will see if I can help you out.

northmn

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
You can either jug choke your Belgian or try plastic wads or both. Another trick is use sandpaper to roughen the end of the bore to slow down the wad so it does not impact the shot column and cause the doughnut holes cylinder bores are famous for.  Some are haveing problems with plastic shot wads staying with the shot unless loaded heavy and making one hole in the target.  I have to try it myself but feel that if one cuts deeper and more slits in the plastic that that will stop it.  Also we have been recommending using a card wad over powder as black powder can melt the plastic and leave a literal plastic ring in the bore that is difficult to clean out.  I had shot several ducks before steel with an older Navy Arms chokeless double and had good luck with using about 100 grains of 2f to 1 1/4 oz of shot. A cylinder bore will reach out farther than we think.

DP