Author Topic: Thomas Earll Fowler  (Read 14813 times)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Thomas Earll Fowler
« on: March 03, 2015, 02:35:29 AM »
Hey Folks,
   A few weeks ago I received a phone call from a coin dealer in Vermont asking about having some restoration work done on a Thomas Earl fowler.  His friend had picked it up from someone who discovered it in the attic of a house that was being renovated in Montpelier two years ago.  After talking about values and my price of restoration, the dealer decided he didn't want to put any money into it and instead sell it outright.  I drove 4 hours to Burlington to have a look last Saturday, made an offer, and bought it from the dealer.  

I was happy to find that the gun has not been messed with except for some brass polishing at some point.  The fowler has its original length 54" 20ga barrel, with a sighting rib on top that stops about 3" from the muzzle.  The lock is signed "THOMAS EARLL", and saw a decent amount of service as a percussion gun based on the wear around the hammer.  The flats on either side of the barrel extend about 14" from the breech.  The "fullness" of the stock on either side of the comb was slightly spokeshaved early on in its life, presumably to make it easier to get your face on the comb.  The stock appears to be cherry, but I've never seen a piece of cherry with such tight growth rings - I wondered if it could possibly be apple?  The growth rings are 1/32" apart!  My favorite part is the bold triggerguard - several Worcester-Sutton gunsmiths used similar French style guards, but Earl really exaggerated the front finial into a defining feature.  The wrist escutcheon has the same style font as Earl's signature, including the flourish on the "R", and is signed "THOMAS BAIRD".  I haven't been able to find much about Baird, except that he was a landowner in Leicester, MA, died in 1782, and is buried in Auburn, MA.  

There are a couple condition issues, mostly that the last 12" of forestock are shattered with several small bits missing, and the last 1" of the buttplate return is missing.  I intend to restore the stock and the brass, and then decide whether to reconvert the lock or leave it in its percussion form.  The rest of the gun will be left entirely alone.  Nord & Hurricane, I'd be happy to have this in the ALR library as it is, and then in a few months when I'm finished with restoration I'll take some updated photos.  

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:29:38 AM by EvonAschwege »
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Thomas Earll Fowler
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 02:55:14 AM »
Great score, Eric!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:18:38 AM »
Eric
You better run out and buy a lottery ticket while your luck holds!!Wonderful Fowler, Earles one of my favorites.Hope to get to visit with it at some point!!!

Mitch

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 03:25:17 AM »
Eric:
 Excellent photos. Color of the stock is very nice. You mention the trigger guard being French in style. The angles of the photos of the stock (2, 3 &4) also appear to have a French look to it.

Offline bp

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 03:31:19 AM »
Awesome gun, just awesome.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 07:24:47 AM »
Beautiful. Love the provenance. I am glad it has been rescued.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 02:22:30 PM »
I have been a fan of Thomas Earl ever since seeing his work in Wilson's book "Steel Canvas" .  Wilson mentions that Earl once made a fine fowler for George Washington. Eric, you have found a keeper!  ;)
Joel Hall

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:30:18 AM »
If I recall correctly, the fowler made for George Washington hasn't been seen since the 1850s.... it may yet be lurking in someone's attic or basement!  I do wish I could trace the provenance beyond the attic in Montpelier, but the elderly woman who owned the place passed away and no info was found on the fowler. 

I'll definitely have it with me at upcoming shows this summer - Mitch you are welcome to visit with it and study the piece. 
-Eric

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:58:01 AM »
If you can get the address of the house where it was found and it is an old house, some research into the history of owner's of the house may be in order.  A friend of mine was in the same situation and ultimately was able to determine who the probable first owner was and found a picture of him.  Not hard to trace previous owners. In addition you could trace back the ancestors of the lady who owned the house. Once again not difficult but you never know. You have a couple leads that most of us never have.  My 2 cents on reconversion. If it was mine (don't  I wish) I would leave it as is. It is what it is and what it is is very nice. Best Regards, Jack

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 03:02:03 AM »
Wonderful.
Andover, Vermont

Offline debnal

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 06:39:45 AM »
Great find Eric. I can think of no more important gun than a Rev War identified piece.
Al

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »
I know!  I keep going back and looking at it.  A stunner.  How many early fowling pieces are signed and have another name on them, possibly the owner?  Plus this quality?  Very few can match this one.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »
Eric, I'll bet your experience in finding this fine piece has put you in the clouds of wonder!  Your journey into research will add much to this exhilarating feeling and it will drive you even higher!  This truly is the ultimate in collecting!  Just reeks with OUR HISTORY!  A real piece of our American Glory!   Again, congratulations to you and the coffee is on me!  ;D
Joel Hall

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 06:18:22 PM »
What an exciting find!!! I hope you document its journey back to restoration for us lost souls who have no experience in that field. Not my call, but I'd put her back to flint, and I think you are the man that could do it properly.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline huntinguy

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
so, as one learning... I have ponderations.

in picture 9 and can be seen again in the last picture, it looks like there is a dent in the butt plate, and the missing portions of the butt plate makes me wonder - just how thin was the material these parts were made of?

also am I correct in that the lock plate looks to be the original. I think I see where the pan was cut away to make way for the drum.

It is a beautiful piece, I can't imagine even holding a piece of that quality and time period, let alone owning one.

You are a very fortunate man.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:30 AM »
Great find Eric, glad you found it, I know you will do it justice.

I have never seen anything like this (metal extension on rammer? below)

It appears to maybe be original with the tow screw on other end and this wooden rammer(?) on the other. What is the purpose of the metal between the rr and the rammer(?). Hand hold?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JDK

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 01:27:50 AM »
Could it be some of the rammer was broken off when the forend was damaged and this was the "repair"?

Just a thought.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 02:10:39 AM »
When I first heard from the coin dealer asking me to do restoration, I was excited just to be able to get my hands on it and study the piece - I certainly didn't think I'd become its new caretaker.  I've been able to research Thomas Baird more and have found some documents online with his name and a little bit about his life - I will compile the information and share it later on.  Tim Boone shared a link with a high quality image of a portrait of Thomas Earle ca 1800 by his cousin, Ralph Earl:  

Clicking the image should allow you to blow it up fullscreen at photobucket (ignore the photobucket pop-up ads!).  It is exciting not only to study an original fowler of this quality and history, but to be able to see the face of the man who made it.  One of the buildings in the back is said to be his gun shop.  I'd like to have it printed on canvas and display it with the fowler.  

Huntinguy - Good observations on the buttplate.  I have some original pistols here with swaged buttcaps about 50 thousands thick.  I haven't had the buttplate off to do the work on the tang yet, but it is roughly 100 thousands thick.  When I have it off I'll be able to tell whether it was hammered out or cast.  Given its shape, it wouldn't be difficult to pound one out using maple blocks as forms.  The lockplate is original, and is 5 1/2" long by just over 1" tall.  The breech of the barrel is 1 3/16" across, but the gun doesn't really feel that big.  Even with the 54" barrel, it still balances a few inches behind the entry pipe.    

The restoration process will be thoroughly documented with photographs - I have some paying projects that must take priority right now ::).  I need to talk with some other restoration experts and find some 200 year old scraps of cherry (broken furniture) and some proper leaded brass sheet.  

Dennis - I believe the ramrod is original to the gun - it has shadow marks from the ramrod pipes and the nice worm on the thin end.  The extension is made of brass, and I don't know whether it is original to the gun or not.  It allows the ramrod to go from 5/16" at the shaft to about 1/2" at the end.  I can't imagine the front 2" of the original ramrod breaking, and the stock looks to me like it was broken from age and stress, not from a direct impact.  Whatever it is, it was very neatly installed and is about .05" thick.  I intend to leave it as it is.  I haven't found any evidence on the stock to indicate whether it was originally shaped to accept that extension or not.  
-Eric

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:11:29 AM by EvonAschwege »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 02:17:28 AM »
You will look like him in 20 more years....grey and with round glasses.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 02:27:35 AM »
You will look like him in 20 more years....grey and with round glasses.

He was 63 when that was painted... you're saying I'm going to be 50 and look like I'm 60? eh??  ;D - I've already got plenty of grey hair, just wait a few more years. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 02:57:59 AM »
you're saying I'm going to be 50 and look like I'm 60? eh?? 

Yes, from hanging out with us old dogs.
Andover, Vermont

Offline louieparker

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 03:49:20 AM »
Eric

My wife did an article on Thomas Earle for Man at Arms magazine and used that photo, As I recall it was in December of 96, but I can't swear to that.. At the time I owned he only known Kentucky style rifle by Earle. It was a very elegant rifle. The silver side plate had a family crest and serpent.  We could never tie the crest to anyone.   On my rifle he spelled his name Earle. Yours is Earll and he also spelled it Earl..  Earl it the top of the line, congratulations !!      Louie

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 09:21:38 PM »
Louie - Do you have an electronic copy of that article?  I found a way to order old copies of the magazine, but it's pretty pricy.  I had no idea Earle had built a rifle, I'd love to see photos if they are available.  Until I found this fowler I'd only heard of him spelling his name Earl and Earle, but never with two Ls - have you heard of other pieces spelled this way?  Thanks,
-Eric

Offline M. Wheland

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 10:40:04 PM »
Congrats Eric, That's awesome !!!

Offline debnal

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 11:57:15 PM »
Eric,
Look in RCA, Vol 2 for a great description and pictures of the Earl rifle.
Al