Author Topic: Solomon Heriger, Brookville PA, Over Under  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Solomon Heriger, Brookville PA, Over Under
« on: March 08, 2015, 04:53:27 AM »
Both barrels are 36 caliber rifled.  Bores are in excellent condition, locks are tight and triggers function well.  This one is a shooter.  The Jefferson County Historical Society in Brookville has a display right now of "The Practical Gunmakers of Brookville"  This rifle is a good example of a
practical rifle.  There were 6 or so gunmakers in that area during the 1800s and they all made
very practical guns.  McCullough made a large number of over under rifles like this one.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:03:32 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wildcatter

Re: Solomon Heriger, Brookville PA, Over Under
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:29:50 AM »
Neat rifle. I have a question, since the gun doesn't look like it swivels, does the flash from the cap travel down that metal "tube" for lack of a better term and ignite the bottom barrel?
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:50:34 PM »
   Yes, just think of device on the left barrel as an elongated nipple.  In fact many of the original makers of this era, simply made up an elongated nipple for the under barrel.  This gun is a wonderful piece.  I made two bench copies of the a Solomon Heriger rifle owned by his grandson Russell Harriger, author of the book Longrifles of Elk, Jefferson and Clarion counties.  This gun shares many of the same inlays as the gun I copied.  Kelly Harriger G.G. grand son of Solomon owns several Harriger rifles.  These guns also bear evidence that Solomon used inlay patterns over and over.
    As an aside the Jefferson Co. Longrifles Muzzloading Club meets & shoots in Harriger Hollow near Brookville, PA.  The hollow is the exact location of Solomon's gunmaking shop.  The property has been provided for use as a Muzzloading club by the Harriger family and was the site of the first Eastern Primitive Rondy.   

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 02:19:28 AM »
Actually, there were two different methods used for firing the lower barrel.  Some makers used the extended nipple arrangement like this one.  Others used a normal nipple and a hammer with an extended nose.  I saw an over & under rifle a few days ago, made by Wm. Marston of Toronto, that had the extended nose hammer.  I have seen this on New York made over & under rifles and combination guns as well.