Author Topic: Longarm- something a little different  (Read 4661 times)

Offline debnal

Longarm- something a little different
« on: March 09, 2015, 05:35:04 PM »
Here is something different. I bought this off the internet where it was described as a musket/fowler. The seller had very poor pictures but did mention that the barrel was 50 inches long, so I got it for parts. When it was delivered, the package was very heavy. When I unpacked it I found out why. It appeared to be a wall/rampart gun. The barrel is 50 inches long, .80+ caliber and the breech is 1 ¾ inches think. It weighs almost 14 pounds. The butt is 2 3/8 inches thick. The wrist is large and the ramrod pipes measure almost .40 caliber, which would be huge if it had a steel ramrod. The furniture is iron and appears to me made en suite. No markings. There is the remains of the English style beavertail at the barrel tang. The wrist has a large longitudinal crack and the barrel tang was extended to provide support. There is a slight swell in the stock at the rear ramrod pipe.  All this, indicates to me, that the gun was built in a military/musket style versus a waterfowl gun.  I couldn’t find very much on wall guns so I hope someone here might help me out. I think it could be American made? Possibly of the colonial period. In the picture of the guns on the wall it is shown with two Rev War American fowlers for scale.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Longarm- something a little different
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:19:39 AM »
Different for sure. Nice untouched condition. Would not have to be careful with the wrist. Wonder how many men that old girl crippled or killed? Are you sure it was not some kind of market gun?

Offline debnal

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:22:14 AM »
I am not sure that it wasn't made as a market gun. I just opined that the furniture, the beavertail carving at the tang, and the swell at the wrist suggested to me that it might have been intended as a musket style rampart gun. There is precious little information about wall guns. Hopefully, someone on this forum may have some good info.
Al

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »
Flintlock converted to percussion fowling piece what is known has a wall gun or  bankgun most are of 10 gauge to 4 gauge,only the lock  and barrel look English so it could have been built in the States about 1770-1800.
Feltwad

longrifle

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 07:16:14 PM »
That one is very interesting

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »
Enclosed are a couple of images of similar types of Fowler's known has bank gun or wall gun
Feltwad

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:01:00 PM by Feltwad »

Offline whitebear

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 04:44:45 AM »
My first thoughts when I saw the pictures is a punt gun used for market hunting.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
Enclosed is a image of fowling guns including punt guns , bank or wall gun and long fowlers.
Feltwad