Author Topic: Flintlock flush kits  (Read 5414 times)

Tommykid

Flintlock flush kits
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:42:02 PM »
I have the flint flush kit from TOTW and really like it. Being it's only good up to 1 7/16", I can't use it to clean a .69 Jaeger and Brown Bess. Does anyone make one of these to fit larger guns?
Thanks,
Tom

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Flintlock flush kits
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:21:09 PM »
I don't know of  a larger version, but there may well be one out there.   How much more width do you need for your Bess & Jaeger?  Since the flusher is made of brass, it might not be too difficult to take a file to one and widen it.    I have one, and after looking at it , I believe you could get around another 1/4" out of it with respect to barrel width.   

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »
I don't know of anyone making a larger unit.  I do know that I didn't have much luck using mine on my smoothbore that has a full round barrel.  There's no flat spot to clamp to.  So even if you modify your flush unit to gain some room it may not work on your Bess.

Good Luck!
John

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:50:51 AM »
I don't like the cheesy way the "O" ring is attached.  I am making a shoe that fits on the screw clamp with a better "O" ring arrangement.  As far as holding on round barrels, try a little blob of either one of these products (and there are others similar) on the far side of the clamp.  Sticks pretty well but comes right off nice and clean when your done.  Just provides enough hold to keep the clamp from shifting.  You can pick this stuff up locally as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Card-and-Party-Outlet/dp/B000HAZCS8

http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-88111-Museum-Putty-Neutral/dp/B0002VA9NA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425937588&sr=8-1&keywords=quakehold+putty
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:55:17 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 02:16:01 AM »
Does anyone make one of these to fit larger guns?
Thanks,
Tom
Check with Wayne Dunlap, Dunlap Woodcrafts http://www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com/ I know he sells or used to sell them. They are not on his website but I know he had them at the Baltimore Antique Arms show year before last. The looked big enough for those guns.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
I don't like the cheesy way the "O" ring is attached.

I agree.  Apparently they modified the design and now include an extra knurled "nut" that is positioned on the threaded portion right behind the o ring.  You can tighten the nut against the o ring when the unit is in place, and it makes a much better seal with your barrel now.  For what it's worth, they sent me a nut and now the system works much better.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:07:10 PM »
I have one that Wayne Dunlop sells and it is well made however to improve sealing against the barrel I remove the oring and affix a flat rubber faucet washer that fits tightly on the oring notch, It is a quality product however I feel the faucet washer seals better.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:14:33 PM by Dave R »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 12:29:38 AM »
Flintfan,

Yes, I have one with the extra nut that compresses the "O" ring a little better.  Still cheesy.  I will post a picture of the improved nut I am making when I get it done.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780