Author Topic: Can anyone identify probable maker of this rifle?  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Can anyone identify probable maker of this rifle?
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:50:18 AM »
Any thoughts on who the maker of this rifle might be?

Thanks
Dennis
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:50:46 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Re: Can anyone identify probable maker of this rifle?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 03:57:11 AM »
Looks Virginia, maybe Hampshire County? It has the shortest wrist I've seen in a long time.  Neat rifle.

Frank

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:58:06 AM »
There is a picture in Whisker's book, GUNSMITHS OF VIRGINIA (Pg 141) that has a rifle with several of the same details. The box is very close to matching.  The oval inlay over the cheek piece appears to be the same, as well as the box on the cheek piece side.  However, the box is located directly under the cheek piece instead of behind it.  There are also heart inlays located on both sides of the wrist.  The side plate is different and the wrist isn't quite as short as your rifle.  But the guard and the triggers look to be about the same.  Some slight differences.  The lock plate on your rifle looks to be squared off in the back. The one pictured in the book is that way also.  The rifle in the book is signed J.S. and is attributed to Jacob Sheets (1813 - 1884).  According to Whisker, Jacob worked in Charles Town (West) Virginia until at least 1840.  On May 1 1847, Jacob bought property 5-miles east of Romney, Hampshire County where he established a gun shop and built his home.  I can't say for sure that Jacob was the maker of your rifle, but there are definitely several characteristics that are the same or at least very similar.  Hope this helps.
Eric

timM

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:08:08 AM »
Virginia,...One of the Sheetz?  Eric I refreshed and you had made the point. The butt stock profile seems contrary to what I have seen of this family? The furniture and patch boxes seems to fit. tim
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:19:13 AM by timM »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:06:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it was possibly a Jacob Shetz and always assumed it was originally a percussion. But a guy that supposedly  knows Hamshire County WV rifles and the Shetz's family work, thought it earlier than Jacob Shetz. He believed it to have been flint originally. The wood behind the cock where the cutout for a flint would have been has been replaced.

However, the box is located directly under the cheek piece instead of behind it.
I believe the box to have been added later. The engraving is by a different hand than the patchbox. I also don't think the lock is original to the rifle but am not sure if the original was flint or percussion. Anyone here familiar with the engraving of the Shetz family? I might be able to get a close-up of the engraving of the patchbox and capbox.
Thanks
Dennis
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:07:25 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson