Author Topic: "Masterpieces of the American Longrifle" Now Available 3/10/2015  (Read 10999 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
 3/11/2015        Now Avaiable and its great!!!

Go to this URL:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=26817.0

The Library Committee
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:29:10 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline fm tim

Re: "Masterpieces of the American Longrifle" Now Available 3/10/2015
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »
Just received.  Magnificent as were its predecessors

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:14:34 PM »
Just got my copy in the mail which has been ordered an paid for since early last yr. I have just thumbed thru it an can plainly see an can tell without a doubt. IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT. Great color photos and the quality of the book itself seems very good. Well worth the money at least to a old redneck that will never get the chance to travel to these fine museums an see these guns first hand. To me its kinda the next best thing ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:19:36 PM »
I received my copy of " Masterpieces of the Longrifle, Joe Kindig, Jr. Collection “, by Patrick Hornberger and Joe Kindig, III  on Tuesday, March 10,2015. The book is an 8-7/8" tall  x 11-1/2" long. A very beautiful color outer sleeve, with the John Phillip Beck " Lion Carved Rifle " taking up most of the front of the book. The back of the book is the black and white picture of Joe Kinding, Jr. in his gun room, in 1962 that we all have seen many times. The inside cover is a rich green with gold print.

What a beautiful book, the color is amazing. So esthetically pleasing, so very well photographed and the rifles are now shown so much brighter, in stark comparison with the dimness of the Exhibit Room in Reading that had  everyone that attended talking about. A photograph of one room of the Reading Exhibit clearly shows just how low the light level was.

The photographs of all of the individual longrifles starts on page 28 with a signed George Schreyer and a signed John P. Beck on page 29. Conventionally, one page is one rifle. There are four photographs of one rifle, two smaller pictures, details photographed with a gray hue colored background. Then there are two larger photographs, one a photo of the rifles full length of the lock side, the second photo is a detail of about a half of a stock viewing the side plate, the cheek piece and butt, all photographed in a white background. A written detail about each rifle is included on each single page with the maker’s name, date and specific’s as to what school the rifle is attributed, the county and state, and also references of where each piece has been described in a prior piece of Literature.

Some of the rifles are of grand design or build, these are rifles that have fame or that deserve a special note. They take up a length across two pages with the lock side or right side of the longrifle alone. These rifles have an 8-1/2” by 23”  two page spread with a white canvas for their format. They are shown with enlarged photographs. They share more written details with us. These longrifles typically have five or six enlarged pictures, some with as many as eight pictures. The detail is fantastic and the color is superb. The longrifles are in a much brighter light than what were shown in the exhibit and you can see details.

I have not had the book a week yet, and it is one of the best longrifle books already. Many of these rifles we have seen for years in black/white, and in many various forms of publication, mostly in the two sets of books “Rifles of Colonial America Volumes I  ac & II”, and the “Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age”. " Masterpieces of the Longrifle, Joe Kindig, Jr. Collection “is an excellent addition to these prior books.

" Masterpieces of the Longrifle, Joe Kindig, Jr. Collection “, by Patrick Hornberger and Joe Kindig, III is sensational. We are very fortunate to have so many Longrifles of the Kindig Collection shared with us. You will love this book.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:28:03 PM by chrisdefrance »
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »
I just received my copy. Excellent quality and work, certainly worth the wait. Congrats to the Kindigs, and especially to Patrick for keeping a cool head, remaining diplomatic while taking the heat from the critics and producing a quality book. Congrats Pat!
Buck

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:00:21 AM »
My check is in the mail - even if it takes a couple months to fill orders I'm looking forward to receiving it! 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Online Karl Kunkel

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 06:09:53 AM »
I received my copy while I was out of town this week.  My Better Half has confiscated it, declaring it a birthday present.  Oh well, I've waited this long.
Kunk

Mike R

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
 ;D Got my copy last Friday and have been enjoying it--worth the wait.  One curious thing is that this book of "longrifles" contains guns in which well over half of the barrels are smooth bore.....I have long known of course that many "smoothrifles" existed, but this collection has around 58% smoothbores!   And some are relatively small bore smoothies....I guess we will never know how many were originally smooth and how many were 'bored out' or 'shot out'--but I am surprised at the number.....

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 03:04:01 AM »
A wonderfully done book with great photography. I think that those who do not get a copy are missing the opportunity to have a great study piece. The detail of the photos and layout of the book are masterfully done. Many thanks to the Kindigs and to Patrick.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 05:57:15 AM »
Chris,

Thank you very much for your detailed review.   I very much wanted that book to turn out well as I just loved that exhibit.  It had guns with lots of decorative motifs I had never seen before.   I will get my order in for a copy.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:13 PM »
My copy came today.Thanks Patrick and all that were involved .It's SUPER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another great resource from Eastwind Publishing!!

Mitch Yates

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:25:41 AM »
Received mine yesterday also. I enjoyed reading Joe Kindig's interesting story. I'm pacing myself to a viewing a few rifles per day. Saw the Isaac Haines mohagony rifle for the first time yesterday...oustanding.

Thanks Patrick for the fine book. 

Online Karl Kunkel

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 03:54:45 AM »
Tom,

I'm doing the same thing, restricting myself to a few rifles per day.  I saw the mahogany Haines at the Landis Valley display.  The carving is as crisp as if it was done yesterday.
Kunk

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 04:57:37 AM »
A series of postings were removed from this topic.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 06:20:06 AM »
Acer,
Thanks for removing them!!

Offline Wayne Holcombe

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
Great Book.I don't know about saying it was worth the wait,I'm excited about what may come next and I'm can hardly wait for that.
I found the pictures to be nice and sharp,my only complaint is there is not enough of them but I guess that's the difference between a $70.00 book and a $700.00 book.

Offline spgordon

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 04:22:40 AM »
Received my copy today. Beautiful book & beautiful pictures. It never would have occurred to me that there was anything wrong with the pictures if i hadn't read the previous (now disappeared) posts on that topic ... and even now, having read those posts, I still can't see anything wrong with the pictures.

I love the opening essay on Mr. Kindig and I appreciate the information about where each rifle had been displayed and the previous books or articles that had discussed it. I liked, too, the catalog entries toward the back of the book that described the location of each of the other photos in the book or items that had been in the Reading exhibit.

All in all, a mighty impressive book! Congratulations to Pat H.
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline bob hertrich

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
I agree with everything stated above. An outstanding book.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »
Is this book still available? If so , how do I go about ordering a copy?

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 05:18:28 AM »
Check out the KRF web site. I think they can still be ordered there.
JIM