Author Topic: LB White Rifle  (Read 3910 times)

Offline grabenkater

LB White Rifle
« on: March 14, 2015, 06:46:52 PM »

Anyone recognize the name LB White?

I found this here in Charleston at Cabelas. I was told it came in with some other rifles from Southern WV. I am hoping it is in fact a WV made piece. The barrel is around 38" and 44-45 caliber.

Thanks!

Link to photos

http://imgur.com/a/M4tIs
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:15:45 PM by Grabenkater »
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Possible WV Rifle Find
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 06:02:48 AM »
In Sellers book, he has a L B White, Plymouth IN.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:03:59 AM by Avlrc »

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »
Does the book list a working date range?

Thanks
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:41:14 PM »
doesn't have much , just a date of 1860.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 03:14:56 AM »
The rifle looks very much like a New York gun with its single trigger and late, wide guard. I looked in "The New York State Firearms Trade" book by Swinney, Vol. 4, pp. 1672-1673, and an "L. B. White" was listed. He is apparently the same man who may have worked later in Indiana. White was working in Leicester, Livingston Co., NY in 1827 (newspaper advertising) and Moscow (suburb of Leicester) in 1833. Swinney went on to say most of White's guns, including under-hammers, appeared to be New York work, most had locks with New York dealer markings, and most showed up at New York gun shows.

Swinney mentions the reference in Seller's "American Gunsmiths" of White being in an 1860 directory in Indiana, and suggests it may be the same man...although he seemed to have some reservation, since most guns he had seen were New York in style...and he felt if the same man, the Indiana years were late in his life. Hope this helps. Shelby Gallien

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
Thanks, Shelby!

I took it out yesterday and ran a few rounds through it with no issues, even managed to hit the target.