Author Topic: Just bought an Al Edge rifle  (Read 9792 times)

Offline Gun_Nut_73

Just bought an Al Edge rifle
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:15:32 AM »
Auction is closed, so here is a link to the photos:  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471498277

I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.  I read in an older post that Mr Edge is still around.  If anyone knows how to contact him, I would appreciate any information he might be able to provide on this rifle.  .36 cal, 42" barrel, flint lock, maple stock, no patchbox or tallow hole.  Iron furniture and double set trigger.  Antler heel plate.  Not sure if there is a buttplate or not.

(does happy dance)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Just bought an Al Edge rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:25:14 AM »
Well that's easy. http://aledge.com/

If that's an Al Edge rifle, no reason to doubt it, it was made years ago. Nothing like the type of work he does today.
Dennis
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:27:49 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:57:05 AM »
Thank you for the link.  How is my rifle different?  I like the simple lines that it has.  Is Mr Edge's current work more fanciful?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:38:51 AM »
Yes, most of the work I have seen Al do has been with carving and engraving.
Dennis

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:14:50 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:36:40 PM »
I went to the NRA museum last week. A little flintlock pistol caught my eye in the midst of all those hundreds of guns. It was made by Al Edge of all people. It was pretty fancy, too.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:09:12 PM »
I went to the NRA museum last week. A little flintlock pistol caught my eye in the midst of all those hundreds of guns. It was made by Al Edge of all people. It was pretty fancy, too.
Al has done a lot of restoration work for the NRA museum. He has a book showing what some of the pieces looked like when he started and shows the end results, really great. If I remember correctly Al made a longrifle that was presented to Charlton Heston.
Dennis

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 01:55:31 AM »
The rifle arrived.  As mentioned in the auction description it is 57" overall, 42" barrel, appears to be .36 cal.  Maple stock.  Lock, thimbles, triggerguard, and toeplate are iron.  Heelplate is antler, and cheek piece inlay is horn.

I have one problem in that the lock will not cock while mounted in the rifle.  It cocks fine when the lock is removed.  I suspect there is something putting just enough pressure on the sear pin ( I do not know the correct term for the part of the sear that the trigger raises to trip the hammer) to prevent proper engagement.

To add to my dilemma, Al Edge does not have computer access, and I, being deaf, cannot use a voice phone.  I haven't owned a TTY for years, either.

I would like to learn as much as I can about this rifle, if anyone can pass the information on the Al Edge.  I would also like to know what I should do to fix the sear engagement.  I am thinking I should buy a cheap tube of lipstick and put that on the sear pin, and try to see where it rubs in the mortise.

All comments appreciated.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 02:16:36 AM »
Did you try to set the triggers when you cock the lock? If they are single lever triggers, you must set them before the lock will work.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 02:52:52 AM »
The hammer will not engage the full cock sear.  It will engage half-cock, but full cock just slips.  Full cock engages properly when lock is out of the rifle.

Trigger is double set with 2 triggers.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:10:34 AM by Gun_Nut_73 »

Offline okawbow

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 04:18:42 AM »
You might try loosening the tang screw that is threaded into the trigger plate, and tapping it down to back the triggers away from the lock sear. It's possible the trigger bar is touching the sear. Also try loosening the lock bolts to see if the sear is being pulled against the wood in the lock cut out.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:54:18 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  The tang screws do not go into the trigger assembly.  The screw that hold the trigger assembly to the stock is inaccessible unless I first remove the three screws holding down the trigger guard, and then pull the trigger guard from its' inletted recess.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 08:54:44 PM »
Can anyone provide me with a mailing address for Mr Al Edge? 

I have no hearing, so I cannot use voice phones, and I would like to send him photographs of my rifle in the hope of gaining further information about it.

Offline JDK

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 02:33:50 AM »
According to the Contemporary Longrifle Assoc. website his contact information is:

Al C. Edge
22370 Horseshoe Bend Rd
Ruther Glen, VA 22546

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 03:20:21 AM »
Thank you very much.

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »
Good looking squirrel rifle.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
'Twould be a nice addition to the squirrel rifle photo thread, but it appears the photos belong to Gunbroker, so i expect they are protected property. Wouldn't want this site in hot water--or even uncomfortably warm.

Interesting rifle. I like it.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 02:50:36 AM »
Sounds like a little wood swelling causing interference with the sear
  What part of the world are you in?  Most any of us could resolve the problem fairly easy. Al is a great fellow and a very good craftsmen. His work time is limited right now because of health issues with his wife

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 09:45:18 PM »
I am in central CA.  I will try to post some photos.  I just found out it is .32 not .36 caliber, as seller claimed.  Luckily, I have a .31 percussion, so they make a good pair.  

When I looked at the lock, I saw that a small piece of steel tubing had been put over the sear arm.  Likely made for a a smoother trigger.  

I also mailed some photos to Mr Edge, and I hope to get a response eventually, with more information.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:46:11 PM by Gun_Nut_73 »