Author Topic: Finish restoration  (Read 5776 times)

Offline chuck

• Starting Member
Finish restoration
« on: March 18, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »
Hi I am curious as to what you restorers use build up the finish on a longrifle that has been overly cleaned?
thanks

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Finish restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 06:57:41 AM »
Hi I am curious as to what you restorers use build up the finish on a longrifle that has been overly cleaned?
thanks

What was the original finish?

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline chuck

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:31:59 PM »
Dan, I'm not sure what finish was on it originally. The rifle is an early J kuntz and none of the finish remains. I've used "French polish" before but would like to hear about the current thinking.
thanks Chuck

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 06:58:10 PM »
Interesting. So what happened to the original finish? Worn off, sanded off, removed with paint stripper?

Depending on the rifle, its condition, and what happened to the original finish, just be aware that the finish you put on it could and might well have a substantual effect on the guns value.

Any pictures of the rifle you'd care to share? Seeing what you have to work with would be helpful. If it's a good Kunz, you'll probably be money ahead having a professional do the work.

If you don't want to fingure out how to post pictures here, if you email them to me I'll post them for you.

John
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:07:26 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:22:12 PM »
Chuck, I too would like to see photos.  I've studied and handled numerous Kuntz rifles and have a good idea of what original finish should look like.  If none of the original finish remains it sounds like it was stripped instead of just cleaned.  You don't want to use a french polish, as that requires a spirit varnish like shellac - not appropriate in this case.  Let JTR post some photos for you and we can better advise you on what course of action should be taken.  Like JTR said, if it's a good Kuntz, then refinishing can affect its value significantly. 
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline chuck

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 12:43:45 AM »
I'm attempting to send photos  to JTR but they were kicked back, I was being kind by saying it was cleaned! skinned is more like it.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 12:50:24 AM »
Chuck, my email is jtrrobbins@msn.com
There's two 'r' and two 'b', one of which sometimes gets left out.
Give it another try.
John
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:51:48 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 01:26:07 AM »
Here are photos of the rifle that Chuck has.  

Looks like may have been stripped of its finish at some point past, but I've seen several Kuntz and Derr (?) rifles that have a very similar light oiled finish - tough to say what's been done to it.  What's good is that it hasn't had a gloppy shiny refinishing job already done to it.  It's got some great features about it, very neat triggerguard finial that is similar to what we see on his attributed pistols.  

I would like to see a bit more dirt and grime here and there, but that no longer exists.  It is possible to replicate that look with soot, but at that point it becomes less honest.  Current trends with collectors seems to be to shy away from pieces that have had refinishing done to them.  If I were looking at it to buy it, I would want it left exactly as it is.  Instead of trying to add finish, I would apply a coat of Renaissance Wax to enhance what's there and give the existing finish more depth.  All told, it still doesn't look bad at all, especially compared to some of the stripped stocks I've seen!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 03:13:21 AM by E.vonAschwege »
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 03:09:03 AM »
Yes, I agree, a nice rifle.
John
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:25:53 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 02:13:40 PM »
I agree also, nice rifle.
Buck

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 07:12:18 PM »
A friend asked me to post these pictures.

His pictures and description are to show the color of his Kuntz rifles; Here is the picture of the three rifles. top and bottom are by J. Kuntz. They have original finish.
The bottom one still has a little red tint left. The middle rifle is a John Rupp.

John Robbins

wet willy

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 08:48:15 PM »
I'll add my second to what E.vonAschwege said in previous post. Too bad someone took off much/all original finish, and that act has diminished the value of this piece to a collector.

Sadly, that act is irreversible. Any attempt to restore the original finish, as it would look today after 150 or so years, without disclosing this to the purchaser, makes it a fake ... and somehow someone will figure this out. If you want to sell it, describe it honestly, and price it accordingly, as there are collectors who will still buy it.

A nice example nonetheless, so wax the wood, brass fittings, and barrel and know that it is stable and in good hands.