Author Topic: Newbie question: what is a chunk gun?  (Read 12534 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Newbie question: what is a chunk gun?
« on: March 19, 2015, 11:53:30 PM »
I see the term "chunk gun" used quite a bit, but the context of its use leads me to believe that there are varying interpretations of what such a firearm should be.

Please enlighten me as to the meaning of the term.  I'd also be interested in any other unusual terms specific to the muzzleloading vernacular.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

Re: Newbie question: what is a chunk gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:05 AM »
Chunk gun shooting is fired from the prone position and the barrel is resting over a log or "chunk" of wood.

Ordinarily, it provide the most steady position next to bench-rest shooting, depending however, on one's girth at the waist. The length of time since lunch was served (& did I have a Pepsi with that) also had a bearing (excuse the pun) on it.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 12:26:28 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Chunk guns are most often heavy barreled rifles designed to be shot "over a chunk" or "on a log" resting on a stationary rest. Other than "off hand" or "on crossed sticks"
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline JDK

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:16:32 AM »
As to form, a heavy barrel is preferred to aid in stability and some are exceedingly long.

But as to design, they can be as ugly or decorative as any other rifle.

Here are the rules for the annual Alvin York match:

Rifles may be flint or percussion ignition, of either traditional hunting or ‘old style’ traditional target type, with no limit to weight or caliber.

No false muzzles, no sealed ignition, no in-line actions, no thumbhole or adjustable stocks and no padded buttplates.

Rifles must shoot black powder w/ patched lead round balls, no bullets.

Shaders are permitted, but must not extend pass the rear of the breech.

Rear sights should be open sights at least 6” in front of the breech.

Front sights should be blade, pin-head or post.

The use of barrel rests (cant blocks) or sandbags on the chunk are permitted and encouraged.

Only the shooter’s hand may support the butt of the rifle, no sandbags or blocks of wood  allowed under the butt of rifle and no gloves of any kind.

Butt of the rifle may not touch the ground.

Basically, any gun that fits the above criteria is a "chunk gun" if you have the nerve to shoot the match with it.  So, you may or may not be able to identify one just by looking at it. ;)

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline bones92

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:06:00 AM »
I had to look up what a "false muzzle" means... but why should it be prohibited in a competition shoot?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 03:08:51 AM »
As others have said, a chunk gun is a target rifle shot prone over a "chunk".    Chunk guns are generally plain longrifles of traditional design that have long, straight, heavy, target barrels.  Chunk guns are a tradition from the southern Appalachians where target shooting was very popular.   So, most chunk guns are of a southern mountain style,  just really long and heavy.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:18:29 AM »
False muzzles are prohibited because they are a feature of high-end, purpose made target rifles, usually bench guns.  Chunk guns are of a traditional design, just with longer and heavier barrels.   Target guns with false muzzles, adjustable butt stocks, thumb-holes, padded cheeks and butts, forearm grips, etc...., are a whole other level above chunk guns.   

The key to chunk guns is "traditional" design.   A chunk gun looks like any other longrifle, just a bit bigger.    There are what the guys in the mountains could cobble together.   

Sometimes a purpose made chunk gun will have a built in cant block where the front ramrod thimble would normally be.    Otherwise,  it looks like any other rifle. 

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:25:05 AM »
I'd also be interested in any other unusual terms specific to the muzzleloading vernacular.

As most of us have been building and shooting muzzleloaders since we were kids,  I don't know how we would know what you would consider "muzzlelaoding vernacular."   You will just have to ask questions as they arise. 

Do you mean the names of parts of the guns?   If so, there are different names for the parts depending on the time period.   I try to use the original 18th or 19th century terms, but can slip back and forth between the original and modern terms.   There are probably posts here somewhere with a glossary of muzzleloading terms.   Wallace Gusler wrote a couple articles in Muzzle Blasts on historic terms and many of us try to use those terms.

Offline bones92

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:34:23 AM »
I like the idea of the chunk gun.  I find myself attracted to long, heavy barrels.  There is something inherently appealing about a long barrel on a modest rifle.   You know, the rifle that doesn't garner a lot of attention.... that is, until the smoke clears and the shots are marked.

I picked up an original (mid-1800s) rifle last year.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it, and I think it has likely been re-bored to .50 cal.  But the long, heavy barrel and very nice rifling lead me to expect that this will be a really good shooting rifle... maybe my very own authentic chunk gun.   I need a rear sight first, however...

Sorry, I don't have a photo hosting service just yet....  http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?357797-Seeking-input-on-a-Kentucky-long-rifle

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:40:57 PM »
I wouldn't shoot an antique rifle, until and unless an experienced gunsmith has pulled the breech plug (breech pin) and looked it over.   Actually,  I wouldn't shoot any old gun, 19th or 20th century,  before doing that.   

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 01:11:25 AM »
Chunk guns might not be traditional. Mine isn't. It has an action type that is forbidden to discuss on this forum, so I won't. Suffice it to say, then, that it is not a sidelock action. The barrel and action are stainless, the buttstock is walnut, and there is neither forend nor provision for a ramrod. It does not have a "sealed ignition." The caliber is .54 and the barrel is 54" long and 1 1/2" across the flats. I made a removable cant block from walnut in the event such a device is locally excluded. The sucker weighs 33 lbs. It meets all the requirements for entering the York shoot and others, but would surely look out of place alongside what most here would think is "traditional." Chunk guns are a tradition unto themselves.

I'll send a PM with pix in order to maintain the integrity of the site's standards.

Blue denim "dashboards" seem to be the preferred attire, giving rise to the term "bibskinners."

http://www.hootalrifleshop.org/over_the_log_shoot1.htm

*Dashboards is a pejorative term where I grew up for the overalls that marked one as a farmer and NOT a logger.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:35:42 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »
Kermit,
That was a great response to what is a chunk gun, really shows what the game is all about.
Mark
Mark

Offline bones92

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:18:58 PM »
While we're at it... can someone describe the various terms used in reference to breeches?

I.e., patent breech, pinned breech, etc.   

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:27:57 PM »
While we're at it... can someone describe the various terms used in reference to breeches?

I.e., patent breech, pinned breech, etc.  

I'm wearing short breeches today!   :P

Hooked breech is another.  But shouldn't we start a separate thread for all that?  Well in case we don't,

My guesses: Patent is generally a percussion thing in lieu of drum-and the shortcomings thereof.  Pinned is attached by screws and pins for bbl, whereas Hook/ed is such that the breech plug hook fits into tang receptacle of tang (pinned) and the bbl is attached by keys (one only has to remove keys to remove bbl, where as screwdriver and punch/nail are required for the other).  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:45:11 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind