Author Topic: Article on the name, "KY Rifle"?....  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Article on the name, "KY Rifle"?....
« on: March 20, 2015, 09:13:01 PM »
I guess it's been several years ago that I read an article in Muzzle Blasts about when the name "KY Rifle" might have first been coined.  It was based on an article in the London Gazette that mentioned the "KY Rifle".  Linguists then made what I thought was a pretty compelling case as to when the term would have been widely recognized, based on historical migration of other words and phrases. 

Anyone know the article I'm talking about?  I'd very much like to get a copy, since I can't find the one I copied from the magazine.  Or know what year/month it was published?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Article on the name, "KY Rifle"?....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:38:06 PM »
That name is all wrong. They really should be called Pennsylvania rifles. ;D ;D ;D

4th La.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:10:14 AM »
I think the KRA would like to discuss this matter.

4th. La.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 03:09:05 AM »
There was an article in one of the K.R.A. bulletins about this .Maybe a couple of different ones . One was written by one of our A.L.R. members. I Will take a look and see if I can find them.   JIM
JIM

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 03:25:26 AM »
Thanks, Jim.  Greatly appreciate it.  If I recall, I think it was a reprint of a KRA article....

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline HIB

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
Gentlemen,   For many years the Kentucky Rifle Association answered the question on how the American Longrifle became known as the 'Kentucky Rifle' in several ways.  The primary and general thinking was and still is the title came about and was immortalized by the reference to the rifles use at the battle of New Orleans.  A poem, celebrating the Janurary 1815 American victory, was transcribe into a song which was published and sung at many local theaters and taverns across the existing US and it's territories. The song was extremely popular and well received by the public. Thus the key word here is immortalized.

Recent findings by a respected KRA member and primary research expert have allowed us to believe the name 'Kentucky Rifle' was in use a number of years previous to the poem and song. It is unclear, at the moment, whether the name applied to rifles made in Kentucky or covered the broad spectrum as it does today.The information, however, is copy right material and may take a little time to unravel.

Regardless, consider the name 'Kentucky Rifle' a relatively modern, so to speak, catch all for the fire arms, of the time, made in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Carolina's, Georgia, Ohio, Kentucky, Tenn., Indiana and several other states and/or territories. The two exclusions not considered under the KRA terminology are 'Hudson River Fowlers' and 'New England Fowlers'. The reason provided to me was "they were not made by recognized Kentucky Rifle Gunsmiths". That exclusion may also apply to NY and territory west of the Mississippi.

I for one collect 'Pennsylvania Long rifles' but I am a member of the Kentucky Rifle Association. Out of respect for my fellow collector friends I wait for their lead as to whether I am admiring a Maryland Longrifle or Tennessee Longrifle. It's easy once you get the hang of it!!  Regards, HIB

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 10:40:52 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I had an opportunity to speak with the author of the article in question yesterday, so should be covered on procuring a copy.

I agree with the "immortalization" of the Longrifle in the well know ballads and poems which came out in the wake of the War of 1812.  The basic premise of the article in question is that Longrifles, no matter where they were made, were made FOR USE IN Kentucky, NOT that they were made IN Kentucky.  Like I said, there's some pretty compelling evidence to suggest when the term would have been recognized, which if I recall correctly, was around the early 1770's.

Kentucky, as we all know, was not a Colony.  "Kentucky" was a geographical area that encompassed parts of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee, and what would later become the state of Kentucky.  It was widely regarded as a land with abundant game, and fertile soil excellent for farming.  Thus the huge allure and attraction to those living east of the Appalachians.  Unfortunately, it was also a land where many things wanted to bite you, scratch you, or scalp you.  To provide food and to protect Hearth & Home in this wilderness you needed a rifle that was reliable, accurate to long ranges, was relatively easy to maintain, etc., hence you needed a "Kentucky Rifle"... 

Anyway, that's the basic premise.  I know this issue can be a bone of contention to some people and I certainly don't mean for it to be taken that way.  I just thought it was a very interesting article and brings another fascinating aspect to these icons of American history, the "American Longrifle", lol...  Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline spgordon

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 10:49:03 PM »
By 1792 Kentucky was a state ... do we have examples of the term "Kentucky rifle" before 1792?
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline HIB

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:34:50 AM »
Ed,  Perfect explanation.  Glad you found the author. Hope you or he does more research as I am tired of singing the song.

In the Kentucky Rifle Foundation CD regarding 'The Importance of the Kentucky Rifle in the Development of Our Country' the origin of the name continues to be the song. The script also indicates newer information has recently been found placing the term 'Kentucky Rifle' at a time earlier than the poem/song we have referenced here. However, the script lacks 'new information' dates which will be most helpful when we re-do the segment.

It is an interesting challenge and I hope you and the author of the 'new material' take up the task of bringing our fraternity additional info. My best wishes for your success.

With respect,  HIB

Offline spgordon

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »
It's worth noting--without quite knowing what it means--that in 1788 an advertisement in the Kentucky Gazette referred to a shipment of "dickert rifle guns" (lower case "d" in dickert, as if the name had come to be generic):

http://www.immigrantentrepreneurship.org/document.php?rec=497&entry=180

http://www.immigrantentrepreneurship.org/entry.php?rec=180
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:08:54 PM by spgordon »
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 03:19:21 PM »
The mention of a "Kentucky Rifle" in the London Gazette was sometime in 1782 or 1783, if memory serves...

Very interesting about the reference to a "dickert" rifle in the Kentucky Gazette.  I would agree, without further explanation in the advertisement, although it does mention "rifle gun", it would be a good indication the name may have become common.

Thanks very much!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline spgordon

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »
Yes--it definitely means that the name was common enough that the advertiser counted on his customers to recognize it.

It is hard to know whether the lack of capitalization (dickert, rather than Dickert) means that "dickert" had come to be a term that referred to longrifles in general or whether the advertiser was selling guns by Dickert in particular.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 09:54:05 PM »
Yes--it definitely means that the name was common enough that the advertiser counted on his customers to recognize it.

It is hard to know whether the lack of capitalization (dickert, rather than Dickert) means that "dickert" had come to be a term that referred to longrifles in general or whether the advertiser was selling guns by Dickert in particular.

yes, difficult to tell re the lack of capitalization as the writer did capitalize Cow one line below and then did not capitalize calves....as someone has mentioned, in the 18th century orthography - precision in spelling and punctuation was not very highly prized   :o :o ;D ;D

my bet..... ;D.... is that in that time and place for that merchant.....dickert was a type of rifle gun.....vs a trade gun or fowling piece..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:55:05 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline spgordon

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 10:21:15 PM »

my bet..... ;D.... is that in that time and place for that merchant.....dickert was a type of rifle gun.....vs a trade gun or fowling piece..

I agree. And so it's interesting that, somehow, by 1788, Dickert's name had come to be a generic term for a longrifle. I would guess, and it's just a guess, that this would have resulted from a large number of Dickert rifles, signed, being purchased, carried, and used a long way from Lancaster. Again, just a guess, but I would think it was the signature on so many longrifle barrels that would have enabled the name "Dickert" to become generic.

Speculation. Clearly marked as such, I hope.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:22:19 PM by spgordon »

Offline RifleResearcher

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »
Mark,
Here is where it published in MuzzleBlasts. 
http://nmlra.org/muzzle-blasts/index/
Gutchess, Alan D., “New Light on an Old name: The Origins of the Term Kentucky Rifle,” September 2009, p. 9.
If you can't find a copy of that issue, I can see if I can pull the manuscript off of my old laptop.
Alan
"Sarcasm: The last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky