Author Topic: Newest Flintlock arrived  (Read 3977 times)

FrontierMuzzleloading

Newest Flintlock arrived
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:56:59 AM »
Got her in today. Someone it looks like, converted a percussion to a flintlock and I dont trust these types of mods, So I will upgrade to a new .54cal flinter barrel and be happy, knowing that shes safe and no bubba worked on it. The vent hole you see is just way to friggin huge. The good part, the pan is as center with the vent hole as you could ask for.

With a french amber flint, the lock throws a ton of sparks into that pan that bounce around sizzling.

Stock also has a ton of wood grain and when I refinish it, I'll do my best to make it pop.

While posting this on another forum, I tried to remove the vent liner bubba job and noticed fouling around the liner and barrel. Using a screw driver to scrape it, it came back out as jb weld! I think they used it to seal the threads. Barrel will get cut in half for an inside view since Its not safe to shoot.

Offline okawbow

Re: Newest Flintlock arrived
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:05:44 AM »
What size is the vent liner? Why not install a larger one?
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:08:23 AM »
The notch above and behind the hammer appears to have the same finish as the stock. If so, it has probably always been a flint. Vent certainly does look mucked up, perhaps taken in and out a few times. Just MHO.
Mark
Mark

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »
As Okawbow suggests, installing a larger vent liner may work.  I don't know what size barrel you have there, being a CVA it's possibly a 7/8?  If the current vent liner isn't oversized, you may be able to drill and re-tap for a Chambers White Lighting in a larger size.  Perhaps a 7/16 or 3/8 size White Lightning vent liner if the barrel is big enough.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »
15/16"

Its easy to buy a new barrel and not worry about that vent liner.

It was originally percussion as i had to inlet the lock for the flinter lock.

When something feels ugly, I'd rather just replace the barrel, knowing that its safe.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:30:55 PM »

When something feels ugly, I'd rather just replace the barrel, knowing that its safe.

Never a bad plan.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »
For you CVA afficiondos.....I just posted a bunch of stuff in the For Sale section.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson