Author Topic: Copy of Original Longrifle  (Read 8162 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Copy of Original Longrifle
« on: March 25, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »
For many years I have thought about building  a copy of a particular longrifle in my collection of originals.  One to shoot and the other to enjoy as a piece of artistic history on the wall. This last weekend while attending the Kalamazoo Living History event, I stumbled across a rifle sitting on a table of guns for sale. It had lots of wear and patina on it with all of the signs of being a fine original piece. Looking closer, I suddenly noticed it had the exact same hardware, including it's patchbox as my old favorite rifle at home! Then I noticed that even the engraving work and designs were also exactly the same!  This was starting to become quite a mystery. Could this by chance be another piece made by my original maker?  I turned the rifle over and instead of the silver inlays that my rifle had, this one had been nicely carved in relief behind and in front of the cheek piece. The brass side plate was shaped very close and the engraving was identical. I could not get my attention to the rifle's barrel quick enough! What I was hoping for and really expecting to see was not there. Instead, neatly engraved in cursive was the name J. RUNDELL.  This was a name that I was not familiar with.   By this time, my mind was filled with a hundred questions. The rifle's owner and seller did not know anything about who this fellow was and even stated that he had never even shot this piece. He did however ask me if he could have a look at a rifle that I had brought along in tow. It was an old 36 caliber barn rifle made by the late Art Holly that I was trying to sell. He told me that he had known Art quite well and asked if I'd be willing to trade for the Rundell on his table.   The deal was done.   From home that Sunday I put out my feelers to find out anything about J. Rundell. Turns out that Joe Rundell is alive and well living in the Flint MI area and over the many years has become quite the gunsmith, master engraver, and sculptor.  He called me late Monday night and we chatted for over an hour. He told me that he had owned my old original Kentucky rifle back in the late 50's through the early 70's. And gave me the rifle's previous linage of ownership going back to the late 19th century! He really liked the rifle's design elements so much that over the coarse of a few years he had made three copies of this same piece. He studied pictures of the rifle I had just acquired and remembered it to be the first copy made in 1965. It was his 3rd rifle ever made.  I found Joe to be an extraordinary man and am very proud to call upon him as a new friend.  This has all been one great experience for me along this wonderful path chosen!
Joel Hall

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Copy of Original Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »
Joel, You are just having too much fun!!!  :o ;D ;D  Good for you! and thanks for sharing that great story!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:55:18 PM »
You gotta be Kidding!

So lets see some pictures!

John
John Robbins

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »
That is really cool Majorjoel!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:57:44 PM »
That's a great story.  Really neat that you now have a copy of your original to shoot.  What are the chances....
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

eddillon

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 11:04:49 PM »
Great story.  Glad that you found the almost twin of your original.  Shoot and enjoy!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 11:57:48 PM »
What a great story Joel!  I would love to see photos of the two rifles.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 12:46:28 AM »
 :)  Like everyone else said, what a great story... And we'd love to see photos of both rifles!
Jerry

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 01:24:51 AM »
Joel,

What a great story.  What impressed me most was the provenance you discovered on both rifles:
- The seller of your contemporary rifle couldn't tell you anything about it.  Now you know it was made 50 years ago.  And you know the inspiration for that rifle.
- That Rundell owned your antique rifle and was able to convey its ownership to the late 19th century is astounding.  But you also know that he liked your antique rifle so much that he made three copies of it.  That speaks volumes about your antique rifle.

Part of our job is to preserve the longrifles' place in American history.  I'd say you did that here several times over.

Bill

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 02:23:45 AM »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:25:40 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 02:27:00 AM »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:29:57 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 02:31:13 AM »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:32:51 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 02:35:51 AM »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:47:26 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline lexington1

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 03:08:25 AM »
Now that is just too cool. I have an original Jost Herbach rifle. After I acquired it I saw a direct copy of it on Track of the Wolf that was for sale. After I decided to buy it it had already been sold. I'm still regretting not buying it. Congratulations!

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 03:32:35 AM »
Good story!

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 04:32:02 AM »
I have had the pleasure of meeting Joe a few years back at a engrave-in at Scott Pillingtons place. Joe had just finished stocking and engraving a double barrel (modern) that was one of the grandest guns I have ever had the pleasure of looking at. Joe is a very talented craftsman.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 04:43:56 AM »
Great story! That is one of the fun things about collecting you never know what turns the road may take.
JIM

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »
Great story and great to see the two of them together!!!!!

Mitch

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »
    As Bill mentioned above, finding this copy was like finding a lost key that opened up another door into my old rifle's lost history. I really appreciate everyone's enthusiasm with all of this!   Even though the Rundell copy is not an exact copy of my John Shell rifle, it is close enough and will indeed satisfy my urges to build one. This has also curtailed another old desire to reconvert the original back to flintlock. Not that the idea really lasted very long. Having a copy in flint is just the way I would have done it. 
Joel Hall

longrifle

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 11:46:18 PM »
Beautiful rifle.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 12:15:49 AM »
WOW! Amazing! And nice rifles, both new and old! You seem to be really lucky out there!
John
John Robbins

2longhunt

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 11:23:10 PM »
Great story. And it would really be something to know where the other two copies were.