Author Topic: Horn Carry Side  (Read 21170 times)

Offline Marcruger

Horn Carry Side
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:50:33 PM »
So as not to interfere with Tim's post, I am starting a new one.

Why would a right-handed person carry their horn on the right side?

I am righty, and prefer the horn on the left. My rifle doesn't bump it, I don't have to hold my carrying arm out from my body, and it leaves my right hand free to hold the measure.

I am thinking along the same lines as a modern hunter carrying his revolver on the left so as not to bang the rifle.

Left side horn carry also potentially shields the horn from the pan flash setting off the horn. Rare perhaps, but it has happened.

Best wishes, Marc

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Re: Horn Carry Side
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:02:50 PM »
I wear my horn on the right side with a strap of its own.  This way I can carry the same horn with different bags setup for different calibers.
iloco

Offline Daniel

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »
 I do the same. On the right side on it's own strap.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Online Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:41:17 PM »
I'm right handed and carry my horn on the right side. ( separate strap from bag ). To me it feels more comfortable.

~Tony

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:44:43 PM »
I wear my horn on the right (separate strap) as well as my bag.
I do this to keep my right shoulder free from to get a proper mount. I also do it because the tip of my horn is more protected by my right arm when shooting.

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 01:52:37 AM »
I shoot left or right but always carry my horn on the opposite side of the one I am shooting from. That's one of the reasons I like a horn without a staple and yes they do carry funny sometimes. it all depends on the horn.

Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:30:33 AM »
I shoot right handed ,carry my pouch on the right side and horn on the left .I have been usin original horns and they are better suited for the left side.That seems like the safer side too but thats just my opinion.  Curt
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:32:47 AM by Curt Lyles »

Offline FDR

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:52:36 AM »
I shoot right handed and carry both my pouch and horn on the left side with my hawk through a brass ring on the bag strap. Like having all the accoutrements on the left out of the way of  the rifle!

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 05:17:27 AM »
I'm in the right handed shooter, left side carry of bag and horn camp. Works for me.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 07:03:13 AM »
So as not to interfere with Tim's post, I am starting a new one.

Why would a right-handed person carry their horn on the right side?

I am righty, and prefer the horn on the left. My rifle doesn't bump it, I don't have to hold my carrying arm out from my body, and it leaves my right hand free to hold the measure.

I am thinking along the same lines as a modern hunter carrying his revolver on the left so as not to bang the rifle.

Left side horn carry also potentially shields the horn from the pan flash setting off the horn. Rare perhaps, but it has happened.

Best wishes, Marc

This is personal preference.  Or how the shooters  learned. Looking at some of the outfits I wonder just how much time people really spend using the rifle and the horn and the pouch.
If I am hunting I wear the pouch and horn high, on horse back higher still. At matches etc lower since I am in the pouch more.
I have the horn attached to the pouch strap. I think anything else is  major bother. If I were in the 18th c I would not change this. If I grab the rifle and the pouch I have everything. Separate the horn and pouch make no sense to me. But again its personal preference....
Right side BTW.
Dan

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Pare Bowlegs

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 07:07:51 AM »
I shoot left handed and carry my horn attached to the bag on my right side. But either way is comfortable to me, I just like less straps .

Pare-

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »
  Just my thoughts on opposite carry, mainly relative to shooting from behind low cover. This is the only situation I can think of where a left carry, right shooter would be at a disadvantage. A right shooter is going to be lying on, or favoring his left side to shoot over low cover. The horn and bag on his left side would need to be pulled forward in front of his stomach in order to get into it easily, and would be more exposed to the pan flash, and have much less ease of shifting out of the way, than if carried on the right side. The right side carry would also allow easier access and more freedom of motion in re-loading from such a position. Those are just my thoughts, but with that said, I carry left and shoot right myself. My left hand finds things in my bag easier than my right, and I am more comfortable pouring powder into the muzzle with my right hand.

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »
I'm with Dphariss on this. I shoot right handed carry both the pouch and horn attached high under my right arm when hunting.  That is how I learned and right side carry is what I am used to.  Carrying it high is something I observed and found keep things tight and quiet.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »
I shoot right handed and carry bag and horn on left side.
Typically, I have the horn suspended from the bag strap, but sometimes on a separate strap.
I usually carry the bag at about waist height, not real high or real low.
John

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 07:24:39 PM »
I've got a problem - and they all nodded!  I'm left handed and right eyed.  I carry my pouch on the right side just at belt height or a little lower, and the horn on a separate strap well ABOVE the pouch.  The horn ends up above my belt under my right arm where it is clamped in place by my arm while hunting.  I carry my rifle usually in my left hand, but if it's my Hawken, I switch back and forth as my arms get longer.  Since the first fall I hunted with it, I have added a sling, and my arms have returned to normal length.

I also have a horn I carry on the left side, because of its curve, and I do not have any problems switching back and forth.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 08:08:40 PM »
I shoot right handed - and carry both horn and pouch on the left side just above belt level.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 09:11:38 PM »
Well Taylor, I am left handed and right eyed as well, it is the only thing right about me. I shoot mostly left handed and always hunt left handed. I carry the gun in my left hand and have my bag and horn to that side as well. The weight of the gun keeps my arm lightly clamping bag and horn in place so they aren't getting caught on stuff.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 12:26:56 AM »
Robby and Taylor, I am just the opposite, I am left eyed and right handed but thanks to Uncle Sam I learned how to shoot from either shoulder. Granted I do shoot better from the left side but it sure was awkward until I got the hang of it.
Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

2longhunt

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »
I shoot right and carry my hunting pouch and horn separately on the right side. I carry them high under my arm to make it easier to run with and they aren't as apt to flop around and get caught on limbs.

I have had a time or two where, because of the F & I twist of the horn, I've forgotten to put the plug back in the spout after loading and realized I was dumping a little powder on the ground. If I carried it on the left side then the spout would be pointed up more and would not loose any powder if I forgot to plug it.

I think it's all a personal preference now as it probably was back 200 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:47:39 PM by Mark Bentley »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 06:42:52 PM »
Sure is nice to see that we all agree!  ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 08:54:44 PM »
Sure is nice to see that we all agree!  ;D

On personal preference.

Tim C.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 09:40:53 PM »
I agree on personal preference. its like carrying a pouch & horn high on the hip or low.

Offline J I

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
 I have always carried everything on my right side and I shoot right handed. I think this is mainly because that's how my Dad did it. Another reason is that it seems to be easier to shoulder a rifle with the strap on my left shoulder.
 Aside from personal preference is there a more HC/PC way to carry, specifically attached vs separate straps for a powder horn? I have seen several original pouches with the horns attached. I think I remember seeing some separate but can't find any pictures or documents to support this. I like some of the woven straps I have seen and thought about adding one to a powder horn. It looks good but is it traditional?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 11:06:01 PM »
I am right handed and shoot right handed but wear my pouch on my left shoulder. The main reason is it seems natural to get things from the pouch with the left hand. I carry my horn on my right shoulder again because it just seems more natural to hold the measure in the left hand and pour with my right. I do wear the horn high under my right arm.

I keep saying I am going to try hanging the horn from the bag straps but don't seem to ever getroundtoit!
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kermit

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »
Don't bother, Dennis. You're doing it the right way now.  ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West