Author Topic: Anyone know what these markings are?  (Read 3198 times)

1927modet

Anyone know what these markings are?
« on: April 01, 2015, 05:01:02 AM »

Ok so after using Krud Kutter and fine steel wool on the barrel I found these stamped pictures on top of the barrel.....I also found these star like stamps
on the end of the barrel ...I also found two initials on the bottom....

I put all the brass and trigger in a ultrasonic cleaner and found the name "Henry"
stamped on the side of the trigger......
Does anyone know what the pictures on the barrel are and who made the barrel and trigger?

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Anyone know what these markings are?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 04:47:12 AM »
The dots on  the barrel look like fish. May be some Christian symbolism. The initials on the barrel probably are the barrel maker. And a person or company with the last name of   Henry made the trigger. Maybe the Henry Gun Factory from Boulton PA.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:54:21 AM by Avlrc »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 05:04:46 AM »
Did you find any trace of the maker's name, or initials, on the top flat of the barrel several inches behind the rear sight? The gun appears to be from southern Ohio or Indiana, or northern Kentucky, based on stock architecture, details of the guard, and the long two-screw tang. Any remaining trace of the maker's name would help expedite locating the gun's origin. Shelby Gallien

1927modet

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »

The only thing on the barrel is the initials "D.S" that's on the bottom of it ..
I Googled the trigger "Henry" and really didn't find anything...We do know that the rifle was sold at a hardware store in downtown Cincinnati "still in Cincinnati "

Here's a better pic of the makers mark on the bottom

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:11:17 PM »
In Sellers book, he has a David Shepherd ( 1860) . Martinsburg & Salem IN, both are not far from Cincinnati.  However that D S would more likely be the barrel maker. Research and see if Shepherd made barrels. I wonder if the fish symbols were not a play with the makers name, Maybe his last name was Fisher, Fishel or even Fish.  or something like that. But all the man who made that rifle had to do was make the stock and put it together. Every part has a name on it, except on top of the barrel where one would expect to find the makers name.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:20:57 PM by Avlrc »