Author Topic: Turner Kirkland .40 cal - Wayne Turney  (Read 19404 times)

Offline Bill Ladd

Re: Turner Kirkland .40 cal , aka, "Wayne Turney, what have you done?!"
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 03:06:02 AM »
If the hammer covers but does not touch you may be able to shorten the depth of the hole in the hammer 1/4 depth to 1/8th etc. just a thought!  Chubby

Oh cool. Thanks.  It's pretty deep up in there so I could definitely fill it some.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »
Bill, or can you adjust the hammer to allow a bit more travel?

Another idea... a spacer that threads into the original threads, and with a female set of threads for another nipple (maybe something more standardized) to screw into, thus extending the cone height.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline bones92

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 02:37:04 AM »
I happened to pick up a book on muzzleloaders, and one of the insets included a brief history on the advent of reproduction muzzleloaders.

It would seem that these .40 caliber rifles were the very first reproduction muzzleloaders (to be produced in quantity, at least).  These pre-date the creation of the Dixie Gun Works brand.  

I thought you all might  find this interesting, as well.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:40:41 AM by bones92 »

Offline bones92

Re: Turner Kirkland .40 cal - Wayne Turney
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 06:04:32 AM »
Incidentally, I dug out a spare nipple that measures 1/4 x 28, and it fit this Turner Kirkland rifle very well.

Just in case someone comes across this thread looking for information...

Offline OLUT

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 07:16:36 PM »
bones92 .... for info only. My mid-60's Dixie catalog indicates that a .255 x 28 nipple fits MOST Dixie guns, but  a .260 fits SOME Dixie guns. For my personal collection of old percussion guns, I keep a few of almost every size on hand. It is easier for me to gently try the different diameter nipples rather than attempting to get an accurate measurement on an old, worn one.

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 06:04:44 PM »
Bones:
 I have one in flintlock, you want .375 balls. My lock was junk( as most Belgian locks were), found a custom lock for it, much better.The plate on the left side was for a peep sight, the barrels are good and quite accurate. I have one like yours in .45 and shot my best 100 yd offhand target with it.

Nit Wit

Offline bones92

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »
Mine is most assuredly a .40 caliber.  I plan to use .390 or .395 PRB.  I was tempted to try to figure out what aperture site was on it, but I think I'll just replace the rear sight... if I end up keeping it.   I don't think many venues would allow for an aperture sight, even if I found the one that would fit the plate.   

I was debating trimming the plate down to remove any excess that doesn't contact the wood.  Or I could just remove it altogether and fill the holes.

OLUT, I think you're right... measuring is one thing, but proper fitting is where it counts.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:41:21 PM by bones92 »