Author Topic: L. Day swivel percussion muzzy  (Read 2943 times)

FrontierMuzzleloading

L. Day swivel percussion muzzy
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:03:47 AM »
Just wondering if any one knows about L. "Leonard from what i found" Day swivel percussion rifles. I have someone asking me about these as theres one for sale in great condition, maple stock and all brass trim. He doesnt think its even been fired but can not verify.

any clues on a half way decent starting price? he doesnt have a way of taking pictures.

Offline JDK

Re: L. Day swivel percussion muzzy
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 01:47:39 AM »
You are correct, his name is Lenard.  Value depends greatly on who assembled it and what barrels were used.

I have one in flint, and from what I understand, most of these left his shop as just actions.  It was up to the gun builder to barrel and stock the action.  Every one I've seen had "L. Day" on the sideplate, whether they were assemble as a complete rifle or not, so it can be impossible to tell who built the complete gun unless the barrels are signed or there are some other maker's mark somewhere.

All that said, there's just no way to put a value on it sight unseen, and tough to do even when seen sometimes.  There's just too many variables, and as I indicated earlier today, many's the 'smith who's turned several hundred dollars in parts into a gun worth little or nothing.

Another thing to consider on non-production/custom guns is that they are only worth what a buyer is willing to pay and the seller willing to accept.  If someone really wants it he likely better buy it as he may never have an opportunity to buy it again.  It all comes down to the price that satisfies both parties as there's no Blue Book for this type of thing.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 02:34:51 AM »
I don't know the exact number of swivel breeches Leonard has made, but mine was #600 plus.
     Dan

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »
Just the actions I have seen go for $1200 or so?
Galations 2:20

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »
Just the actions I have seen go for $1200 or so?

Yep, and even higher, depending on whether they are flint or percussion, with flint going for more, and whether they have been barrels mounted or not and with what barrels and how they are joined.

But, I've also seen 'em go for the roughly the same money stocked, depending on the level or work and how much use they've seen.  Of course they can go for much higher as complete guns.  Again, depending on the level of work, and that's why it's impossible to value a gun sight unseen, and often even with pictures.

As above, not every gun is worth the sum of it's parts.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter