Author Topic: One more fixer upper!  (Read 9020 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
One more fixer upper!
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »
This one was a challenge!  :o

The first picture shows it as found at a local gunshow, and the second picture shows it pretty much as I bought it from a friend.

Basically, it was a pretty neat old gun. And an early for sure, with its 2 inch thick butt and simple carving. Maybe Rev War with the hole in the trigger guard for a sling swivel.

The brass furniture is very similar, though not exact, in shape and engraving as that on gun # 71 in RCA, as is the simple curled trigger. The furniture is no doubt probably made, engraved and imported. The butt plate on mine has a small BB cartouche stamped into it, but I have no clue as to who or where BB was.

When I got it, the old lock had already been found as a replacement, and seemed very appropriate. The  modern non-injun brass tacks were long gone as was the modern lock and leather wrap around the lock area.

Pictures 3, 4 and 5 shows what I had to work with as far as the lock area….. a bit of the lock molding remained on the front, and most of the tear drop on the back, though it’s hard to see in this picture…..  and with the two holes under the barrel, it’s had at least two locks previously.

Picture 6 shows the piece of wood I glued in for the new lock mortise. I did clean up the edges of the old hacked hole so to have a tight fit for the new wood. The new wood only covers the hacked away part of the hole and not the interior of the lock cavity, so that area remains original.

Somewhere along the line, I’ve lost the pictures of fitting the replacement lock, so the next one is of the gun finished. Also, and I’m sure you’ll notice, that I had added several feet of barrel, fore stock, thimbles, ramrod, etc, as well! 

I still have the old gun and still enjoy it. At the time it was the most extensive restoration I’d ever attempted, and I learned a lot in doing it!

Comments and questions welcome, of course.
John

John Robbins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: One more fixer upper!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »
Excellent overhaul!

thanks for sharing
Hold to the Wind

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 11:32:32 PM »
Amazing work!

~Tony

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:21:44 AM »
Wonderful!   When you remove the old lock mortise, how do you get the remaining wood flat and on
plane with the new wood?  I have a rifle that needs this done and I've been hesitant to try it.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 01:03:57 AM »
Rob, When I got it, the lock mortise was already hacked out like that.

Before gluing in the new wood, I trimmed and smoothed the old wood down flat until it butted against the new wood as closely as possible all the way around. Then I roughed up the glue surfaces for better adhesion and glued them together. When glued, the new wood stood about 1/8 inch proud of the old wood, so it was just a matter of carving things down to look like it was suppose too.

Obviously when selecting the new piece of wood, pay close attention to the grain and curl direction to get it correct!

If you need more help, feel free to email me some pictures if you like.

John
John Robbins

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 02:55:14 AM »
Hi John,
That was masterful.  Well, well done.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 03:26:24 AM »
That is amazing.  Thanks for sharing your work.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 04:43:44 AM »
another great work.Now-how is the old ebay smr coming along?best regards,Dave F

Offline lexington1

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 04:47:01 AM »
Awesome job! I know that there are pros and cons to restoration work, but I personally get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that a piece of history like this will now be preserved due to a great restoration rather than in the junk pile and lost. Great looking early rifle.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 07:54:24 PM »
Thank you guys for your nice comments.
This one was one of those where the value of the work is more than the value of the rifle, unless you're working for 10 bucks an hour or so. But the old thing should be around for many more years now.

As for restoration, I'll leave that to each his own. If someone has an old beat to $#*! gun and wants to keep it that way, more power to him. But if someone has a similar gun and wants it fixed up, that's fine too. As to future buyers, honesty on the sellers part is paramount, but the buyer should always assume the seller might not know everything that has been done to the gun over the years. And importantly, the buyer also has a responsibility to understand what he is buying, and absolutely has to know what to look for. Look at buying a nice gun as like buying a nice used car; aren't you going to look beyond the salesman's words? 

When you get right down to it, most sales transactions are honest, and most restoration work is visible, if you know what to look for.

Happy Easter, John
John Robbins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »
Thank you guys for your nice comments.
This one was one of those where the value of the work is more than the value of the rifle, unless you're working for 10 bucks an hour or so. But the old thing should be around for many more years now.

As for restoration, I'll leave that to each his own. If someone has an old beat to $#*! gun and wants to keep it that way, more power to him. But if someone has a similar gun and wants it fixed up, that's fine too. As to future buyers, honesty on the sellers part is paramount, but the buyer should always assume the seller might not know everything that has been done to the gun over the years. And importantly, the buyer also has a responsibility to understand what he is buying, and absolutely has to know what to look for. Look at buying a nice gun as like buying a nice used car; aren't you going to look beyond the salesman's words? 

When you get right down to it, most sales transactions are honest, and most restoration work is visible, if you know what to look for.

Happy Easter, John

Hold to the Wind

longrifle

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Wow great work it looks fantastic.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 07:19:04 PM »
Do I see that you scraped the lower lock mortise replacement to get that wavy
appearance that the rest of the forestock has from wear?  If so, nice touch.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
Do I see that you scraped the lower lock mortise replacement to get that wavy
appearance that the rest of the forestock has from wear?  If so, nice touch.

That you do, thanks!  ;D
John
John Robbins

Offline acorn20

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 10:29:48 PM »
Fine restoration there John.  Thanks for sharing your work.
Dan Akers

longrifle

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 11:53:47 PM »
I love the looks of the rifle.

1927modet

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »
Do you have any pics of you shaping the it or before staining  it?........It looks really nice!