Author Topic: Roller lock on antique  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Carper

Roller lock on antique
« on: April 04, 2015, 03:40:47 AM »
Well I saw something today. I saw a rifle built by my kin folks prior to the Civil War. The cool part was it had a Roller cap lock on it. It never quit being in use.  The word Roller was stamped on the outside of the plate which is something I have never seen before as all I had seen previous
  were stamped Roller with a year on the inside. Any idea of the time frame of a Roller lock so marked?Thanks Johnny Walker. I know Bob is old but I did not know he was building locks in the 1800's.

Online Bob Roller

Re: Roller lock on antique
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »
Well I saw something today. I saw a rifle built by my kin folks prior to the Civil War. The cool part was it had a Roller cap lock on it. It never quit being in use.  The word Roller was stamped on the outside of the plate which is something I have never seen before as all I had seen previous
  were stamped Roller with a year on the inside. Any idea of the time frame of a Roller lock so marked?Thanks Johnny Walker. I know Bob is old but I did not know he was building locks in the 1800's.

Sounds like world class BS to me.

Bob Roller

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »
Bob,
If it's on the net it must to be true. How does it feel to be a real antique?
Mark
Mark

Offline Carper

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »
I sure did not mean to offend you Bob. Quite the contrary,I admire your work.  But the rifle I described does exist. No doubt about the rifle being made in the 1800's and someone, in the 1970's replaced the lock with a new one. That lock has the word ROLLER on it. I have seen quite a few of your locks but the name was always on the inside. Did you ever put your name on the outside of a lock ? Please forgive me if I offended you about inferring you were around in the 1880's. I am at my worst when I attempt humor. Johnny Walker

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 12:47:54 AM »
I sure did not mean to offend you Bob. Quite the contrary,I admire your work.  But the rifle I described does exist. No doubt about the rifle being made in the 1800's and someone, in the 1970's replaced the lock with a new one. That lock has the word ROLLER on it. I have seen quite a few of your locks but the name was always on the inside. Did you ever put your name on the outside of a lock ? Please forgive me if I offended you about inferring you were around in the 1880's. I am at my worst when I attempt humor. Johnny Walker

Sometime in the 1960's I made a few Hawken locks for Mowrey?Gun Shop in Texas that I reluctantly
branded on the outside.
I was NOT offended by your earlier note and thought it may have been a joke.Can you post a picture of this gun so we all can get a look at it?

Bob Roller

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 12:54:54 AM »
Bob,
If it's on the net it must to be true. How does it feel to be a real antique?
Mark

I told a grandson I was in the 1st grade with Santa Claus and he asked if he had to admit we
were related when we are out in public.
Bob Roller

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 04:19:08 AM »
Bob Roller,I like your reply re Santa Claus.Keep them younuns cornfused,it be good fer em.The old timers up the holler where I was raised had me so confused I was in JR high before I figgered out 'Nauahie or noowie river,was actually Kanawha River.Dave ;D

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 03:40:03 AM »
Here you go. I'm posting these for Carper.

If you zoom in, you can read the Roller logo.
John Robbins

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »
If that's a newer lock put into an old rifle, it sure does fit good.
Mark
Mark

Offline Carper

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »
Yes you are correct. The lock was expertly installed covering the old hardware style lock's plate.  What an upgrade with a half cock and great internals! BTW look at how the triggers are held in without screw or bolt through the plate. When you remove the guard the trigger assembly falls right into your hand. The barrel tang has a couple of wood screws instead of a bolt. Johnny Walker

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »
That lock IS from the 1960's,maybe i964.It has a malleable iron hammer that I
used to get from a man in Norwalk,Ohio. I think his name was Roethlisberger.
I got one of these locks back from a man in Alaska that was shooting in 50 below
zero weather and the hammer cracked.I surprised the rest of the lock didn't crack
as well. Most of thse locks went to Bill Mowrey in Olney Texas who insisted on my
name being on  the outside of the lock.
Thanks for posting this for all of us to see.

Bob Roller

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »
Johnny

I was really looking forward to shooting that rifle in the pictures a few weeks ago at the match.  Hope your feeling better.

Bob