Author Topic: New Engraving Vise.  (Read 16188 times)

J Shingler

New Engraving Vise.
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:48:33 AM »
Here is a new Engraving Vice station that I made up yesterday. Using my standard vice gunsmithing vice for engraving with an optiviser just killed my back right between the shoulder blades. I am hoping by raising the work up to where I can stand up straight it will relieve the back tension. I started with a couple square tubes from the scrap yard that fit inside each other with a 5/8" thick disc welded on top. A couple tabs to lag to a heavy assembly table made it plenty stable. With the two 1/2 jamb bolts It can be as low as table top or as high as chin high on me, and I am 6'5. For the little bit of time I played with it it is very comfortable. I added a Fox vice from Grizzly to finish it off. It was a nice choice for this, as the jaws are flat and it can spin a full 360 deg. Not as smooth as a engravers ball but about $650 cheaper than the one I looked at! I also have the tilt adapter if I choose to use that. Hooked to that assembly table I can get to 270 deg of access. Now if I just had the skills to go along with it!  ;D 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:44:09 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Re: New Engraving Vise.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 03:05:57 AM »
I like that setup, I was looking for a way to raise the height of the vise for different projects.
I made this swivel that would fit nicely on that mount you made.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:44:36 AM by rich pierce »
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

J Shingler

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 04:24:32 AM »
Wow that would be a great addition. I really like the ability to raise the vise. I have a tilt adapter I can use but not near as handy or as versatile as your ball. Grat idea!
Jeff

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:30:36 AM »
Wow, both items are nice and are just what I'd like to do.  Great job guys.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »
That would be a sweet combination. How did you make the ball & socket setup or did you have to buy that?
Thanks
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 07:10:02 PM »
That would be a sweet combination. How did you make the ball & socket setup or did you have to buy that?
Thanks

I made the ball & socket at work.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:31:02 AM »
This is the rig I use.  It cost about $100 to make and can be taken down and put away in 5 minutes.  The marble is glued to a wood disk which sits on top of a pipe.  The pipe has a closed end with a screw inserted in the end cap that rotates on a block of oak and can be locked in place by a screw.  The vise is a simple Panavisa with a suction base that clamps on to the marble and can be positioned as desired. My set up works pretty well but as I do more engraving, I am appreciating an engraver's ball all the more.

dave

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:45:32 AM by rich pierce »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:46:53 AM »
That is a nice rig.  And I like your workbench with all the drawers!  Thats something I'm going to have to do this year.  My workshop is getting way too cluttered.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

J Shingler

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 12:58:08 AM »
Dave,
That looks like a really nice engraving setup.  I can see you are doing much better work than I am capable of doing right now. Is that one of those Lindsay gravers I see laying there? I first saw those at Dixons last year! Sweet!

How do you like the Panavise? I was always afraid those were light duty? I have found I use my set up for light duty detail filing as well. Like trigger guards and thimbles. I really like the adjustable height.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
Are those Rubber jaws on that panavise?
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 04:57:19 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I like the drawers too.  I don't have much space so I have to try and keep organized.  I spend a lot of time cleaning up clutter as I move from one job to the next.  The Panavise is OK.  A nice machined set up like melsdad showed would be better.  The Panavise is strong enough but the ball is not machined perfectly round so it sticks a little when I try to cock it at different angles.  The table however turns very smoothly for scroll work and by moving the vise on the marble top I can always keep my work centered.  I keep the ball greased for smoother action.  I show rubber inserts on the vise which has steel jaws.  I use a Lindsay airgraver.  I cannot say enough good things about it.  It is fabulous compared to my old hammer and chisel.  I also use Steve Lindsay's sharpening system, which it fantastic as well.  In my opinion Steve Lindsay is a genius.  I spent my dole on the graver, which is why I went cheap on the vise set up.

Take care,

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 06:51:35 PM »
I made some of these vises for a group of woodcarvers..... carousel horses. No reason why you couldn't take the ball hitch plate and mount a vise on it.

Melsdad, your version of the swivel is very tidy. I am jealous. Even tho' Mine is less nifty, it needs no wrench to lock/unlock.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:46:55 AM by rich pierce »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 07:09:48 PM »
Dang!  You guys are ingenious!  Acer, if I understand your rig correctly the level moves the one end in and out thus applying or releiving pressure on the hitch ball - so you can move it or lock it as you wish?  Clever.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 07:28:02 AM »
I have one of the gimbel basis that Melsdad makes, works very well! just a 1/4 turn on one of the outside collar screws and it free to move, is very handy when doing pistols!