Author Topic: A little update on my fixer up  (Read 3422 times)

1927modet

A little update on my fixer up
« on: April 05, 2015, 01:52:38 AM »

Ok The first pic show what I started with .... I got the two screws out and cut little grooves with the dremel
on each side....I added saw dust to the epoxy, clamped it and let it sit for a day..... the plugs I got from a few different places to find the best match to the grain I could ......I epoxied some stainless pin's in first let that sit a day then cut,shaped and sanded the plugs to fit ....

Now its down to the last piece needing fixed ....the piece by the lock....I've been putting this off thinking of how I'm going to tackle it. First I was trying to match the angle but never went all the way with that idea, I took a step back and let it sit for a few days and then it came to me .....don't try to match the broken angle just cut it out and square it then just put a small block of wood in it and shape it to match the other side.....I'm going to cut it along where the tail of the breech plug meets the split in the wood to the bottom of the split......I think that will work

Thanks for looking and any input would be a help

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: A little update on my fixer up
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 02:04:20 AM »
I see you are making progress. Could you share your goals or approach?  It looks like you are not trying to preserve finish, for example. 
Andover, Vermont

1927modet

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 04:32:56 PM »
Well my goal is to get to fire and to restore it back to what it looked like around the turn of the century........Sometime in the rifles life "looks like 1920's-30's" the stock was refinished  and a thick coat of varnish covered it that was chipped up
something awful....I would have never touched it if it still had the original finish on it.                   

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
....I would have never touched it if it still had the original finish on it.                  

Judging by the pictures, That probably was the original finish.....

If you actually plan on shooting the thing, I suggest you reinforce/strengthen that old glue repair, lest when you pull the trigger, the glue breaks, and that jagged end stabs you in the eye!  :o

John

PS, Sorry, I guess I missed the part about the SS pins.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:09:58 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 06:01:13 PM »
As JTR said, I think that probably was the original finish on the stock.  For your lock mortise, I would carefully remove the high points in the break with a chisel, then make a new piece of wood to fit on that diagonal section.  Remember that you can hollow out a little bit the inside portion of your new piece in order to make the edges line up nice and tight.  You'll then bring the new wood down to the existing stock, and re-inlet your lock and the barrel tang. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

1927modet

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:31:09 PM »
I would put money on it that it was redone at some point in its life...My grand father built furniture starting in the 30's......and the varnish pealing and scratched looked just like a piece mom has .....I have a different post with pics of it before I started to get a better look..
I hope the stainless pins I epoxied in the old screw holes along with the 5000 psi epoxy holds...I keep saying I'm not going to use a full load.....but who knows