Author Topic: Gary Richards, no, Gary Richmond, my mistake  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Martin S.

Gary Richards, no, Gary Richmond, my mistake
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:51:09 AM »
Has anyone here heard of this maker?

I saw a gun of his on the web, and wondered if it would be a good one to buy.

Thanks,

Martin

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:07:14 AM by Martin S. »

Offline JDK

Re: Gary Richards?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »
I've not heard of him and there is no listing for him on the Contemporary Makers' Blog or on the CLA web-site.  That doesn't really mean anything though, as many good guns come from obscure makers.

To purchase or not?  There are too many factors to consider.....quality, condition, price, etc.

Without pictures and knowing the above, it is impossible to know whether the gun is a "good buy" or not.

All that said, even some of the well known builders have produced dogs at one point or another.  And even if it is their better work it could still be over priced.

Enjoy, J.D.

J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »
Thanks, JD.

The gun is on the TOTW website, under percussion Hawken.

I think I'll pass.

I need to contact John Bergmann, and have him make me one.

I have been to his flicker site, but the email link is bad.

Do you or anyone here have his contact information?

Offline blienemann

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:52:09 AM »
If you're referring to the Hawken up currently by Gary Richmond - not Richards - that's a fine looking rifle to my eye, first class parts, tapered barrel, Ron Long design, etc.  I think the same stock pattern that Green River Rifle Works developed in copying Jim Bridger's rifle in Montana.  A more accurate version of a half stock Hawken than many out there.  Might ask the Hawken students out there . . . Bob

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 01:06:48 AM »
Richmond is correct.

Autocorrect is not always your friend!

I was a little concerned about the quality of the inletting, they mentioned "The long triggerplate is one of the most tricky to inlet and has a few small areas of bedding visible."

There was an Ozark Mtn Arms (I think) gun on there last night, but now it is gone.  It had a much prettier (more striped) stock, but by the time I wrote my original post, it was gone.  I was debating between the two guns, but now I am leaning towards having John Bergmann make me one.

Thanks!

Offline JDK

Re: Gary Richards, no, Gary Richmond, my mistake
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:09:00 AM »
I don't have contact for John Bergmann, but have looked at the rifle on Track by Richards.  Aside from some very small inletting gaps, I agree it appears to be a fine Hawken, but I'm pretend to be an expert on 'em, though I've gotten to handle a few.

For what you're getting there it seems to priced very reasonably.

Compare with what W.B. Selb charges for a similar set up here: http://hawkenrifles.com/pricing.shtml

Don't get too hung up on a pretty striped stock on a Hawken.  I think you'll find less is more when it comes to authenticity on plains rifles.

Enjoy the journey, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 07:20:59 AM »
Martin S., if you will send an email to Buck100-10X@nc.rr.com/ I will pass on Mr Bergmann's contact info onto you.

I have what appears to be a John Bergmann Hawken, but it is unsigned. I have taken a couple of dozen photos and I am going to send them to him for verification. The only link to the maker is a half-dozen letters exchanged between Mr Bergmann and the original owner here in NC.

I'm the match director for the NMLRA/NC Territorial, and it started Thursday, and runs through Sunday. When the dust settles on the match, I'll send the photos and a copy of last correspondence to Mr Bergmann for his response. It appears to be his workmanship, but the unsigned barrel remains a mystery. Absolutely beautiful workmanship. In one of the letters, Mr Bergmann quoted $1,600.00 for this project and it was delivered in 1997.

I hope to get an answer back in a week from Monday, the 13th.

This Hawken is only eclipsed by the Corley Hawken in a group of three Hawken rifles that came up for sale together that I purchased. The Corley rifle is the finest custom-worked Hawken I have seen in many years. All the furniture and lock are color cased. The third is a Hawken made by the late Ted Fellows. It was built in 1989 according to the barrel date on the bottom of the barrel.

In the correspondence between Ted and the first owner, the owner specified block letters for Ted's name on the top flat of the barrel. I thought that was unusual for a customer to dictate how the maker was requested to "sign" the barrel.

As soon as I finish the photos of the Fellows Hawken, I'll start a new thread of the three Hawkens I bought, the Corley, the Fellows, and the possible Bergmann(?).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:25:12 AM by D. Buck Stopshere »
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »
The Gary Richmond rifle on the TOTW website has sold.

If someone here bought it, I'd love to hear their impression of it once they hold it.