Author Topic: The Name of The "Game"  (Read 3436 times)

Offline GrampaJack

The Name of The "Game"
« on: April 12, 2015, 02:48:11 AM »
I am going to look at a long rifle next Monday that is coming up in a local auction. From a very fuzzy picture that a friend forwarded to me, it has a plain horsehead patch box, single trigger, curly stock with somewhat of a Lehigh look to it. Here is the question. The description says that the barrel signature is very rough with only "game" showing. I have been through the Ohio books and no names including "game" could be found. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks, Jack

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: The Name of The "Game"
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 03:00:03 AM »
Could it be a very rare gun that talks about game rather than the maker. Sounds interesting. Reminds me of a rifle that said something about being a good shooter from tennesee
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

oakridge

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 11:08:56 PM »
Burlingame ?

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 01:35:51 AM »
Burlingame was the only name that came to my mind but I have not been able to locate a gun maker with that last name.  Anyone know of one? Jack

oakridge

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »

There are two listed in Sellers' American Gunsmiths:

Ira Burlingame, Woodstock, VT, 1840-1872

Warren Burlingame, Alabama, NY, 1859-1882

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:52:49 PM »
http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/categories/index.cfm?category=796838040

Well, I was not successful in getting in to see the rifle so no help there. To tell the truth I really have little interest at this point other than trying to determine where it was made.  If it turns out to be something cool I could develop some enthusiasm. I'm just trying to avoid guns that I have to work on and this one probably needs some help. Also, I'm not really into flinters with 36" barrels. Anyway, maybe the pictures on the web site will help. Can't hurt I guess. Thanks, Jack P.S it's No. 220 under antiques.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:54:53 PM by GrampaJack »