Author Topic: Brian Barker rifle  (Read 17534 times)

Offline EC121

Brian Barker rifle
« on: April 22, 2015, 11:27:12 PM »
Sqrldog wanted me to post these pictures of his latest acquisition.  This is a rifle by Brian Barker based on #44 in Mr. Ivey's NC rifle book.  50cal. 44" B weight barrel.  Nicely done.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:30:32 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Ted Kramer

Re: Brian Barker rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:32:32 PM »
Nicely done indeed! That's a pivoting lid on the PB, correct? Am I seeing three forward rod pipes or are my eyes tricking me?  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Ted K.

P.S. Send some rain up this way.

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »
Ted:  I looked at the original pics.  You are seeing three pipes.   The pivoting lid is from the Randolph/Guilford county area of NC.

Brice
Brice Stultz

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:11:01 PM »
Here's a few more photo's.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:43:29 PM »
Very nice, Brian. I fell in love with the pivoting patchbox lid the day I got Mr Ivey's book. I have don three and plan to do one on the current project. Excellent, excellent work on all aspects, finish, inletting,etc.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:15:26 AM by C Wallingford »

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »
Thanks Charlie.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 05:12:56 PM »
I like everything about the rifle from the detail on the toe plate, the excellent fit and finish to the treatment at the muzzle. Nice work Brian.

The pivoting lid is something I must try. Do you occasionally have to snug it up by turning the pivot screw a bit tighter? Also, I presume the latch spring only contacts the edge of the butt plate, not the wood, as it is being pivoted open or closed..?

Ted K

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »
Ted if the box is pivoted up it only caught a little wood with the spring but going down it will scape the stock pretty good. I'm thinking it has to do a lot with the butt plate curve. The flatter butt plates you might not hit any wood going either way. This was my first pivoting box. The thing with the screw is to make sure it is slick on the underside of the head and no threads contact the lid. This way the screw seemed to stay put when the lid rotates. Now you may need to loosen or tighten the screw according to swelling and shrinkage of the wood lid though. The other thing about these lids is they can warp on you. The first one I made warped after it was attached. If I removed it and let it sit on my bench a day or two it would flatten back out but put the screw tension on it and pow back to warping. So I had to make another from a different piece of wood.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 12:01:50 AM »
 Another beauty B, I really like the muzzle treatment. No missing screws on this one:)

Tim C.

Offline EC121

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 02:41:02 AM »
If you want all the screws, it costs extra.  This is a rough crowd.  Did he think he was going to get off the hook that easy?  We have witnesses.  ;D
Brice Stultz

Offline old george

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:06:43 PM »
Very nice!!!!!!!!!! I'm really liking the swivel patch boxes. If I had to have a box that would be my choice.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 11:43:30 PM »
I REALLY like Deep River rifles. Got to have one some day, hopefully in this lifetime.

Here's photos of a patchbox I found somewhere sometime. I like its "latchlessness."

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 01:54:00 AM »
What were the years that rifles with box lids like this we're being made?
Thanks
Kevin

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 04:07:49 AM »
Snap
William Ivey owner of the original and rifle author of NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOLS OF LONGRIFLES 1765 - 1865, gives and estimate of rifle #44 as having been made in the late eighteenth century. I would say he has a great deal of expertise in this area and that his estimate should be fairly accurate. If you like southern rifles I highly recommend purchasing a copy of his book. I am the proud owner of Brians work and can only say it looks better when you hold it than it does in the pictures if that is possible. I look forward to getting the rifle to range and seeing what it's capable of in the accuracy dept. Tim Cosby

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 11:59:39 PM »
Sweet!! nicely aged too!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 03:55:48 PM »
Nice rifle.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

HEad Redneck

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »
I also have one of Brian's rifles ,I can sit in the easy chair for hours admiring his rifle then add a little linseed oil the living room looks and smells right!!! HR

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
Really like this rifle.  Well done! An the swivel box lid.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the nicely done photos on the gray rock background. The ones on the fence are almost impossible to see the fine details. When photographing rifles busy background are't your friend.

Hungry Horse

Offline art riser

Offline EC121

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
Here is a link to a short video of the rifle being fired.  www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com
Brice Stultz