Author Topic: Barrel filing jig  (Read 29503 times)

Offline KNeilson

Barrel filing jig
« on: April 23, 2015, 04:05:07 AM »
I havent been up to a lot recently that was enough on topic to post here, but lately I may have come up with something of interest to a few.. having a need to file a barrel from round to octagon I was dwelling on a way to affix and index the flats on the barrel other that by eye in a bench vice. I then put something like this in the back of my mind and usually at some time in the future I`ll get an idea. So a young friend asks me about sharpening axes recently and I remembered a tool  I was shown to build and use as a young logger. It held the axe in a fabricated clamp and a bar holding a file was pivoted at the apex of the axes cutting edge radius, drawfiling on a fixed plane as you go. Try a search on "filing jig" you`ll see many variations for knives and axes on this. So.. a couple of pieces of scrap wood from an old pallet (had a convenient groove for banding material), a few clamps and bits of metal and I built this.. The barrel is held by a clamp in the groove, manually indexed and measured by a degree wheel on one end, and the file holder is held in the pivot and  worked in an arc to remove metal. As Ive made it, the pivot point can be altered for height and depth dependant on the operators needs. The file holder is a mild steel bar 3/8 by  1 ¾, on two edges on the bottom, I tacked on a couple of strips of ¼ round to hold the file between, bowing with a hammer between tacks to hold the file securely. A strip of cardboard from a cereal box under the file to soften and protect the teeth. Clamping the barrel at 0, I levelled the file at the pivot once and completed the main roughing  of material without any other adjustments. There is still some finish work to do, and I`m quite happy with the results so far...regards...         :)  Kerry

A picture of the pivot and file holder

The degree wheel and some of the shavings of metal. Dependant on the distance the pivot is from your workpiece, you can exert a great amount of pressure on the file making it cut rapidly with large pigtail shavings

still some finishing to do

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:30:58 AM by rich pierce »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Barrel filing jig
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:06:50 PM »
Very creative and by the looks of your project it works well ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »
Crazy cool Kerry!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:01 PM »
 I though "barrel filing jig" referred to the happy dance we all do when the filing is done.

Hungry Horse

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:01:26 AM »
I though "barrel filing jig" referred to the happy dance we all do when the filing is done
    ;D ;D
Hi guys, thx for the replys, and the humor... The bench I put it on is outdoors and Ive been waiting for the clouds to part a bit so I can get back after it and finish things up. The original plan was to go from rnd to oct with a wedding band. Since things worked out so well I may try to do the same on the front half but make the transition over about 9-10 inches.
Re-reading the post I realized I have skipped a couple steps in the explanation of the process. It was 1 in rnd starting, and I had calculated what I should have for width of  barrel flats (approx .375). I preset my vernier calipers at .370, and when I had filed enough flat to just let the edges of the vernier  sit on it I loosened the clamp and rotated the barrel 180 deg and filed another flat. I then did the two flats at 90 deg, then the corners in an attempt to balance any strain from the metal removal. Each flat then got a few strokes with a single cut file and thats where I left off. Measuring across flats I am within .010 of what should be. A little correction and a bit of final surface finish to go...    regards     Kerry
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:04:55 AM by KNeilson »

ncollar

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:28:35 AM »
Kerry
Did you do a follow up on the barrel you files and if so where?
Nelson Collar

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 10:45:33 PM »
Kerry clever set up an it works well I see. Thanks for sharing with us.