Author Topic: 5½ weeks until Heffley...  (Read 25364 times)

Harnic

5½ weeks until Heffley...
« on: July 15, 2008, 05:46:54 AM »
Time to get serious about my offhand shooting.  As I have lamented several times here, I have a problem shooting my rifle offhand.  It shoots good groups off the bench & when I do my part quite acceptable groups offhand.  My problem is the drift to the right when I shoot standing!  The poi is fully 4" right of my aim point at just 25 yards which translates to a clean miss of the target at 50 yards!  I'm still at a loss to explain this problem.  If it was entirely flinch related my groups should be all over the place, but the groups aren't half bad & after an hour or so of shooting rival the ones shot off a sandbag!  I've locked up all my other toys including my week old brand spanking new Ruger 22/45 Mk III target pistol until September so I with only shoot my flinter for the next 7 weeks.  Wish me luck & feel free to offer suggestions!

Daryl

Re: 5½ weeks until Heffley...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »
Looking forward to seeing you there, Harry.  It's sure coming up quickly. going to pick up some more powder when I get home from Ontario - this weekend, I think.

: Roger B. - sure hope you can make it - the more the merrier.

; Just noticed the time- have to go to the 6th floor and wake up Taylor and and Heather - they're flying out today for Prince George.  Trace and I are going to Ottawa to try to straighten out the government. visit some museums, too- HA!

ironwolf

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »
  Hey Harnic. I understand your state of anticipation. 'Round these parts, the wait for the Alafia Rondy is excruciating.
  For that offhand gun, set your sights for the offhand p.o.i.  A common problem seen when benching an offhand gun.

Have fun, Kevin

Harnic

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »
Hope you have a great time back east Daryl, & a safe trip back home.  I too look forward to swapping tales around the fire with you, Taylor, Roy, & all the rest of our merry band at Heffley!  Yes!  Roger & Kevin need to try to get there too!  :D

I tried changing my sights Kevin, but I often shoot from a rest so that messed that up & it appears I'm moving while shooting offhand & the point of aim changes at each distance.  I just need a LOT more practise shooting offhand.  I'm in much better shape this year, so hopefully a month of intense shooting will correct my aiming problem.

ironwolf

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 12:06:12 AM »
  Could be a follow through issue.  Look the ball into the target.   Practice, another good reason to burn powder.

Have fun, Kev

Harnic

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 12:15:25 AM »
That's what I've been thinking too Kevin!  I just have too many fun toys right now distracting me from "Old Betsy"!  :D

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:47:08 AM »
Any chance when you are off-hand shooting that you are holding the rifle a little cocked to one side or the other? If you are cocking it to the right somewhat,you will shoot right and low.

Harnic

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:20:07 AM »
I think I hold it quite straight Roy.  Can you tell from this picture?

My wayward groups have the correct elevation, just move to the right compared to off a sandbag.  I hope practice is all I need.  I am planning to shoot at least twice a week up to Heffley so with any luck I'll sort my problem out.  I know it's sighted in off the bench so all my shooting for the next month will be done offhand.  See you there buddy!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:20:58 AM by Harnic »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »
  Harry,
    Your stance is perfect. But you need to look at this part yourself. When you are sighting and ready to release the shot,check that your rifle is not canted to the right. I had this same problem with my smoothie,but was canting it a little to the left...and sure enough,it shot to the left,DOH!!!
 Just something to check. Good luck buddy!

Harnic

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 04:20:09 AM »
Thanks Roy, I suspect I am anticipating the shot & because there's so little recoil, adding the appearance of more.  I've caught myself doing that with my cap & ball revolver, so I may be doing it with my rifle too.  Time will tell, I went out & shot at my 8" round gong at 50 yards for a couple hours this morning & by the end of the session was hitting it most of the time offhand.  Next week I'll move it out to 100 yards & when I'm hitting it every shot at that distance that'll be good enough.  I'm sure it's just inexperience.  I haven't done any serious flintlock shooting for 24 years & it shows!  Well, time to go out to the shop & check my equipment for Heffley.  I need some new bulk bungie cord for my tarp.  That huge white tarp was great last year (for the 28 hours I was there, it really helped keep that hot sun off my camp!  See you next month buddy! :D

Leatherbelly

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 08:07:08 PM »
Harry,
  I had a couple of "Colt" replicas that I was doing the same thing with.I started resting my thumb on the flash arrester (on the left side) and viola!...I started hitting things! without this hold I was shooting left and low.Just with the actions recoil, it would bob to the left and low,as I found out by dry firing it and paying attention to  what the muzzle was doing during the release. Might be worth a try? Cheers

Offline sse

• Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »
The poi is fully 4" right of my aim point at just 25 yards
Are you left eye dominant and shooting with the left eye closed?  For me this had the effect of moving the group to the right, admittedly not a full four inches, though.  OTOH, when on the bench and fully relaxed, and able to keep my dominant left eye open, while still sighting with my right eye, the groups moved over to the left.

I gave up on that technique and had the rear sight moved over and things have since improved.

Harnic

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »
The poi is fully 4" right of my aim point at just 25 yards
Are you left eye dominant and shooting with the left eye closed?  For me this had the effect of moving the group to the right, admittedly not a full four inches, though.  OTOH, when on the bench and fully relaxed, and able to keep my dominant left eye open, while still sighting with my right eye, the groups moved over to the left.

I gave up on that technique and had the rear sight moved over and things have since improved.

Good suggestion, but no, my sight picture is correct.  Welcome to the forum SSE! :)

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:54:37 PM »
Back in one piece - great time, Harry.
: Your stance is quite good, but the muzzle is waving all over the place- hahahahahaha!

Harnic

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 07:01:06 PM »
Back in one piece - great time, Harry.
: Your stance is quite good, but the muzzle is waving all over the place- hahahahahaha!

Welcome home buddy!  I hope you gave our dictators $#*! while in the capital! ;)  My shooting is improving a bit, practice will make all the difference!  I've locked all my "modern" toys away & am only shooting the flinter for the next month.  See you at Heffley!

Offline sse

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum SSE!
Thanks.  I did have a modest participation at the old board, but the numbers aren't shown here.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 07:59:22 PM »
SSE,
You are up to date now.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

doug

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
  As I have lamented several times here, I have a problem shooting my rifle offhand.  It shoots good groups off the bench & when I do my part quite acceptable groups offhand.

Not to worry; I will be there and my shooting will make you look good by comparison :>)  :>)

cheers Doug

Harnic

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 10:42:35 PM »
LOL!  It will be good to see you again Doug!  It's always nice to have company in the non-winner's circle! ;)

Offline sse

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 02:55:54 AM »
SSE,
You are up to date now.
Ken
Well, thanks...

Leatherbelly

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 04:17:32 PM »
Doug,
 You are not up to date here,how come?

Ken,
   I think Doug is too modest. He is by no means a beginner. Retired scientist,sheesh.

Daryl

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 01:55:01 AM »
Doug's seen the varmint - he's just a bit quiet is all.  I sure hope he brings that Swiss gun for me to drool over.

Harnic

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 04:36:50 AM »
Well, I shot for 2 hours this morning & was hitting the 10 inch gong about half the time offhand at 50 yards.  I suspect slow ignition time is accounting for most of the misses.  When I drilled the touch hole on my White Lightning liner, I drilled it .0625 (i/16").  I think if I open it up to .070 my ignition time will speed a bit which will help my offhand accuracy.  Slow ignition might account for why my misses are so consistent too if I move in the same direction after the trigger releases.  Sure glad we went this morning!  The afternoon temp here was 100° F!!!  Too !@*%&@ hot for anything but the beach!

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 04:42:25 AM »
OUCH! - you can have those terrible temps. ::) It got all the way up to 68F here today - was a bit hot in the sun, though. ;D ;D

Harnic

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 06:12:46 AM »
I had an epiphany today while shooting my flintlock.  I have been trying to do the impossible with it.  It's just plain old too muzzle heavy for me to shoot it well offhand & the more I try to do that the less I am enjoying shooting it!  I am, from now on, going to use it for fun which means shooting from some form of rest, the side of a tree, over a log, sandbags on a bench, a coat rolled up on the hood of a truck, whatever is handy.  It shoots very well for me from a rest & is fun that way.  I don't like to compete at the best of times anyway so I will continue to go to Heffley Creek & a couple other events I travel to every year & enjoy my friends as well as make new ones.  From time to time I will shoot a bit, make smoke & noise & then go back to socializing, the part of any rendezvous I enjoy most.  Thanks for the input here guys, I feel GREAT now that I don't need to keep practicing what I can't do with this rifle.  Maybe one day I'll build a shorter version for offhand shooting, but for now, I'll stick to shooting this beautiful long rifle the way it works for me... off a rest.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:14:29 AM by Harnic »