Author Topic: William G. Shreckengost rifle by Harvey (Butch) Smith  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
William G. Shreckengost rifle by Harvey (Butch) Smith
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:22:52 PM »
My friend Butch, whom I met while researching the Shreckengost gunmakers, used to do civil war reenacting and his persona was Levi
Shreckengost.  He grew up in Putneyville by the original gun shop with the gunsmith's descendants as his neighbors.  Butch's family had
one of the originals and he had always wanted to see Levi's rifle that I found in Stoystown years ago.  This is the 3rd rifle
that Butch has ever built and I think he did a fantastic job of recreating the work.  I had another friend Dave Seedenburg engrave it for
Butch and he did a great job of copying the hand.  Butch took elements from his favorite rifles and created his own that is not an exact copy
of any one rifle but a compilation.  The patchbox was made from an original template now in the hands of a collector.  The other inlays are
copied from my photos.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:29:04 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
Re: William G. Shreckengost rifle by Harvey (Butch) Smith
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:08:41 AM »
Shreck, I too like this rifle that your friend Butch made. I think ole butch shows alot of talent talent. Great looking rifle!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!