Author Topic: Bench Technique?  (Read 5366 times)

Offline ericp

• Starting Member
Bench Technique?
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:17:46 AM »
Good evening all,
I've found the point of impact compared to offhand, and group size, to vary considerably depending on my bench technique, much more so than with modern arms.  What works best for me is holding the rifle with my hand between the forward bag the rifle but grasping the rifle further forward than I normally would, immediately aft of the entry thimble (half stock Lyman).  I use no bag in the rear but keep the whole setup low enough that the elbow of trigger hand is on the bench.  This is sort of uncomfortable but it is the only method I have found that has the same point of impact as when I shoot offhand.  It may something particular to this rifle but this is what works for me.

How do you go about shooting off the bench?  Are there any trends you have noticed? 

Eric

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Bench Technique?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:33:02 AM »
Eric,
I am far from an accomplished bench shooter but have had some little success by the following; I make every attempt to rest the barrel at the same point for every shot and then use my non trigger hand under the toe of the stock. Both elbows are resting on the bench. I hold and control the rifle from the toe position and use a gentle hold with my trigger hand. I also use only the tip of my trigger finger for firing. I'm certain that others have different techniques but this works for me.
Mark
Mark

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:02:06 AM »
ericp, are you trying to get your bench groups to go to the same spot as your off hand groups?  If so I think your close to what I do but if you were to shoot off the bench to find your best groups to find your best loads then Smokingbuck's method would be my choice. Shoot lots and keep a note book of your results and you will be able to figure it out. Good shooting.

mmprwarner

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »
Eric,
I am far from an accomplished bench shooter but have had some little success by the following; I make every attempt to rest the barrel at the same point for every shot and then use my non trigger hand under the toe of the stock. Both elbows are resting on the bench. I hold and control the rifle from the toe position and use a gentle hold with my trigger hand. I also use only the tip of my trigger finger for firing. I'm certain that others have different techniques but this works for me.
Mark

Pretty much have to agree with Mark. I used pretty much the same stance that he does try to stay close to the bench and Locke as much yourself to the bench as you can. Most of all get good and comfortable.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
That's the same problem I've always had with muzzleloaders shooting from the bench.  The variability in group size would sometimes make me wonder if a pin had dropped out.  For poa/poi I shoot off hand or sitting.  After trying these two techniques along with a couple of others, I still haven't settled on one as being reliable enough to test loads.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »
When shooting off the bench - sitting almost sideways to the rifle, not sitting facing forwards. Both feet FLAT on the ground- comfortably.  Both elbows on the bench.  I grasp the rifle at the foreand where I hold it for offhand shooting, and rest the back of THAT hand on the sand bag of the adjustable front rest.  If teh front rest is not adjustable, you cannot fine tune the elevation required for the most comfortable position. Thus, your body must conform and that opens groups.
Good solid Bench Technique is VERY important for shooting good groups. This is why some guys shoot as well from hunting positions as they do from the bench- Taylor used to be one of those, but now, with practice he shoots very well from the bench- !@*% - too bad he didn't lose his offhand capabilities at the same time. Just kidding.

SRY- they are not ml's- but close by around 30years.

Left hand resting on the bag. Sitting almost at 90 degrees but turned towards the rifle at the waist.

Taylor is sitting more in line with the rifle and resting the forend on the bag. This gives elevation to the point of impact, normally, compared to shooting off one's hand. One of my rifle's shoots 3" higher if held like this, at 100yards than when hand held. Hand held shoots the same as offhand, for me.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:05:07 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 07:04:57 PM »
Due to ball/bullet time in the barrel and relatively low velocity, I do not use high-power rifle techniques with longrifle or BPCR. Instead I hold the foreend in the same spot as offhand, and lay the back of that hand on the front rest. That way I am controlling the barrel during follow-through. Otherwise, in my experience, there is too much opportunity for the barrel to jump while the ball is still in there.  Also, the benched gun seems to print closer to offhand groups. On the butt end I snuggle that elbow tight into a soft sandbag, and brace my chest against the bench. I am no expert, so take this for what it is worth. Best wishes, Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 07:07:34 PM »
I was typing as you were Daryl. Sounds like similar experiences. Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »
About the chest - I used to do as you, Marcurger, but now, my heart rate disturbs the sights - badly.  Of course, it is most noticeable with a scope and I have to touch off the shots between heart beats to avoid horizontal groups.
Daryl

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:25:41 PM »
  I developed the left hand on the toe hold when I was in the Army (class of '68), and it worked well for me then.  But I'm interested in the theory that this might allow the gun to jump while the ball is on the way through the barrel, given that MLs have a much slower velocity than the good old M14.  As for heart beat, you can test this yourself before shooting.  Take 2 or 3 deep breaths, and expel the last half way.  You'll feel the slowing of the heart rate for a few seconds, and that's when to take your shot.  With proper ear protection, you can sometimes hear the heart beat, so you can squeeze off a shot between beats.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 01:26:45 AM »
As said before when you develop your method, do it the same way every time. One thing that I have noticed while shooting off the bench is this, I get different groups from having the ramrod in its place while laying it on the sandbags, from having the ramrod laying on the bench beside me. So now when I go shoot, I make sure the ramrod is in its place on every shot, just like it will be while hunting.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 06:30:14 AM »
Not only consistency, but follow through is VERY important.
As Natureboy noted, you can hear (even if you can't see it over the sights) your heart beat - between the beats is when to let the shot go.
Daryl