Author Topic: Looking for more information on this Wm Lewis (marked) rifle  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
As you can see this barrel is signed "Wm Lewis". There is a William S. Lewis listed in James B. Whisker's "Gunsmiths and allied Tradesmen of TN".
(1842-  ) gunsmith. 1860 Elizabethtown, Carter County. William, age 18, apprentice to his brother Lawson; born in IN

I would probably have guessed this was a Unico County TN rifle but its not that far from Elizabethtown (today's Elizabethton TN).

An 1842 date I can accept for this rifle but its a very nice rifle for such a young builder. Of course he may have started his apprenticeship when he was 12 or so.

Any thoughts or more information that might apply to this rifle?
Dennis

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:03:24 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline gibster

Re: Looking for more information on this Wm Lewis (marked) rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:42:33 AM »
Looks like a nice rifle Dennis.  Any chance of seeing a picture of the entry thimble and a side view of the nose cap?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
Looks like a repair on the side plate panel. Odd place for damage? Just wondering.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 11:06:45 PM »
Looks like a nice rifle Dennis.  Any chance of seeing a picture of the entry thimble and a side view of the nose cap?

Eric,
I had uploaded the one with the entry pipe and forgot to include it. I don't have one for the muzzle cap.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 12:33:46 AM »
Looks like a repair on the side plate panel. Odd place for damage? Just wondering.
Actually two repairs there. Have no idea how/why since this was done prior to the current owner obtaining the rifle.

Dennis