Author Topic: Another Long Barrel Half Stock  (Read 4857 times)

Offline GrampaJack

Another Long Barrel Half Stock
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »
There was a recent thread about long barrel half stocks so I thought I would throw in another one. This rifle has a 43" barrel of .32 Cal. The barrel is 7/8ths across the flats and balances surprisingly well.  The initials W.E.D. are clear and in script just where they should be. The previous owner was told it was Ohio however, I have looked in both the Ohio books and Sellers and found nothing definitive.  I'm thinking W. Pa. and West somewhere. Having said that, there are lots of people with a first name beginning with W. and a last name beginning with D but no middle initial so some more work is clearly needed. If anyone has any ideas  they would be welcome. Thanks, Jack

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: Another Long Barrel Half Stock
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 03:14:38 AM »
Interesting rifle.  I have several "W. D." gunsmiths who worked in Illinois, but have no middle initial for any of them. Not everyone had a middle name in those days, so the middle initial might help sort it all out. There were quite a few long barreled halfstocks made in Central Illinois, but that is only one of many possibilities.  I just looked though all of the "D" gunsmiths in Sellers AMERICAN GUNSMITHS. I found quite a few more "W. D." names, but none with a matching middle initial.  Jerry Noble has compiled an extensive list of names that are not in Sellers. I will mention it to him and see whether he might have a match.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 04:27:50 AM »
I own a long barreled  half stocked rifle, but it was made in Indiana. The barrel is signed J. Rogers/Maker/Elkhart Indiana. The only  puzzling thing is the Elkhart Indiana stamp is over stamped with the J.Rogers stamp a second time. The barrel is 42" long, and 11/8th inches across the flats. The bore is .36 caliber. Boy is this gun a real anvil to shoot. Oh this gun also has a commercially produced iron cap box  mounted in the buttstock backwards.

Hungry Horse

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:44:43 AM »
The rifle appears to have come from somewhere along the Ohio River north of Louisville, based on its long barrel, later guard style and clean butt lines...kind of reminiscent of the work of Michael and Benjamin Sells of Bracken Co., KY; Benjamin later moved back across the river to Brown Co., Ohio where he worked most of his life. I checked my Kentucky records and found a good possibility. It is William E. Duncan who was working as a gunsmith in 1860 at Ghent in Carroll County, KY on the Ohio River north of Louisville, about half way up to Cincinnati. I have not seen a gun by Duncan, so don't know for sure about the attribution, but the location is almost perfect for this style rifle with long barrel, triangular butt, and guard with a spur off the bow and a double spur at the rear.

Jack...  if possible, would you mind e-mailing (sgallien@comcast.net) me pictures of your rifle shot in a little higher resolution, so I could keep them for my ongoing research into early Kentucky gunmakers? Your posted pictures are well done and clear, but a little too low on resolution for my work. If this might be possible, I'd greatly appreciate shots of:
1) Front half-length view showing from butt out to about 10" past lock plate,
2) rear half-length view showing from butt out to about 10" past where lock is on other side;
3) full length view of front side
4) barrel signature...but with about an inch of barrel showing on either side of the initials.
I'd greatly appreciate getting these pictures, since if I gather enough new information and pictures of new rifles, I hope to do a third and final volume of 'Kentucky Gunmakers 1775-1900" to help complete the story of early Kentucky gunmaking.

Thanks,  Shelby Gallien

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 04:33:45 PM »
Sounds like a really good possibility, Shelby.

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 04:54:54 PM »
Shelby, I will have your pictures out in  the next day or so.  Appreciate the information. Jack

greybeard50

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 01:40:48 AM »
I have one of each of the Sells Bros rifles. One full stocked and the other a 44" barrel halfstock. Would they be candidates for inclusion?

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:49:35 AM »
Greybeard...if you are responding to my post about a possible 3rd volume of "Kentucky Gunmakers 1775-1900," yes, your rifles would be candidates for inclusion. The Michael Sells is of most interest, and the Benjamin Sells if it's an early rifle by him...later guns by Benjamin are too much "Ohio" for inclusion. If you would like to contact me directly, I'm at sgallien@comcast.net and would enjoy hearing directly from you.  Shelby Gallien