Author Topic: Flintlock Rifle Marked "L Sisil"  (Read 4176 times)

Clifton Hicks

Flintlock Rifle Marked "L Sisil"
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:33:27 PM »
I have a .45 rifle with the top barrel flat marked "L Sisil" that I'm interested to learn more about. I have searched the name on several sites and turned up no results.

It's a fairly nice rifle, also marked "69" on a side flat so I'm guessing, if he made at least 69 guns, that somebody here might know of him. My guess is this rifle was made in the 1970s or 80s. L&R classic lock, Green Mt bbl. All the hardware is iron but it looks like he was going for more of an earlier Carolina/Virginia type rifle than a Tennessee/"Southern Mountain" style.

Thanks,
Clifton Hicks
Blue Ridge, GA

Offline Dave R

Re: Flintlock Rifle Marked "L Sisil"
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:12:23 AM »
Possibly Lenord Sisil of South Eastern Illinois? He lives somewhere north of Mt Carmel Ill.

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »
Does it have a Brass moon inlayed on the cheekpiece?  I think I owned that gun for a couple months, traded it for a pile of newhouse beaver traps, only shot it about 10 times. Maker is located Southern Illinois. 

Clifton Hicks

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 04:45:25 AM »
Luke,

It does indeed have a half moon on the cheek. Sounds like the same gun. I bought it last year in northern Kentucky. It's my first flint gun so I have just been a bit curious about it. Good to know where it came from, though I haven't been able to find any further info about the guy or even found any pics of his other guns. Oh well. Thanks.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 05:10:47 AM »
Clifton,
Please check your personal message box I have sent you Mr Sisil's phone #! If that's an old # contact me and I think I have his phone # at work!!
Dave R

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:43:51 PM »
I picked up the gun in April of 2013 from the maker, it was "New" at that time and an impulse buy that I later regretted.  Held onto it till the next Jan when I traded it off.