Author Topic: Help with identifying this long rifle  (Read 4841 times)

L-Bob

Help with identifying this long rifle
« on: May 18, 2015, 11:33:12 PM »
  I am trying to identify a recently purchased rifle.   I am trying to include the information from Amoskeag’s recent auction, lot number 304. It is still on the internet if the attachments do not come through.   The most distinctive part is the phoenix bird finial on the patch box.  I found a very similar decoration on a Samuel Baum rifle, but that one was in brass and this one is in silver.   I read that someone named Jacob Frock used a similar Phoenix design, but I can’t find a picture of any of his guns.
The odd thing to me is that it is in very good condition.. almost new condition.   It was revarnished with the barrel on and shows small amounts of varnish remaining on the barrel.  I pulled the pins that hold the barrel and see the metal wings that accept the pins, but the barrel won’t easily come out and I do not want to damage anything.   The front sight is actually a turtle with 4 little legs.   The work is EXTREMELY well done and there are a lot of little extras put on the barrel, lock and stock.  The tang was also engraved.   Some decoration is included almost everywhere.  I suspect it was manufactured in the 1970s.  There is a person from Tennessee who might be creator, but I have forgotten his name.
At the front end of the barrel is stamped a 40, presumably for the caliber, and two other letters (maybe a "u u" or “J u” or maybe even a "J Q”.   Hard to tell what was stamped on there— stamp was not completely flat.   
If you know anything that would help identify this gun and especially to date the gun, I would much appreciate your response.  Thanks for any information you might have.

/Users/robertwlissitz/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail Downloads/E6F27858-67F0-4060-80EF-611771B044C1/304.jpg

best regards,
L-Bob

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Help with identifying this long rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:55:22 AM »
Hi ya L-Bob,

Welcome to ALR.  Would like to see your rifle, but the picture link doesn't work.  Here's a link to a tutorial on posting pictures on ALR.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0  Hope this helps.

-Ron
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:18:35 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:59:55 AM »
Here's a link to the auction.....  http://www.amoskeagauction.com/105/304.html

I agree, probably made in the 1970's + or -.  The builder was gifted.  Wonder why he didn't sign it?

-Ron
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:45:21 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
Ron Winfield

L-Bob

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 03:04:31 AM »
Hi Ron
I am new to the group ... so sorry if I am a bit slow here...
I see you found the link to Amoskeag and the rifle I bought...  but I do not see the link to the tutorial on how to post pictures to ALR????
thanks for interest,
L-Bob

L-Bob

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:15:46 AM »
Ron
thanks for link to contemporary builders... some very talented folks out there.
:)
The silver work is extremely well done...
I am looking for their names, but I think there were two brothers from Tennessee.. maybe Johnson city??? who worked on guns in the 1970s and used a phoenix bird in their finial...
I will keep looking for their names.. I put that somewhere...
Bob

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:20:40 AM »
Hi Ron
I am new to the group ... so sorry if I am a bit slow here...
I see you found the link to Amoskeag and the rifle I bought...  but I do not see the link to the tutorial on how to post pictures to ALR????
thanks for interest,
L-Bob

Well nutz!  I copied the link, then forgot to paste it.  My memory keeps getting shorter and shorter.

Here's the link.... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

L-Bob

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 03:39:38 AM »
thanks...
:)

L-Bob

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »
I have some more information on the gun I bought from Amoskeag auction and that I am asking for help identifying its maker.  Ron gave the web site that describes the gun and has pictures, if that helps anyone provide more information.  In my searching I came across a sale of a gun by Louis Smith from Jonesboro, Tennessee in GunsAmerica in the 1970s that is similar in style in some ways.   The ram rod is identical in style and I know he did some work in silver and used a dragon design or Phoenix bird design similar to that on my gun.   Does anyone know any thing more about his work?   Is there a book with pictures of his guns, for example?

thanks for any more leads...
L-Bob