Author Topic: American made PA/KY SXS buck & ball rifle?  (Read 9649 times)

ssilver

American made PA/KY SXS buck & ball rifle?
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »
Hi all, I joined a couple years ago & haven't been here for some time. I'm not much at computers but trying. I found a interesting gun, buck & ball I think. There is NO makers mark or any others that I can find. It is a 1/2 stock with silver inlays & it's a smooth bore. I would like to post some photos, perhaps someone would like to see it & could offer some information. Please, if anyone would offer help in posting the photos it would be most appreciated.

Offline OLUT

Re: American made PA/KY SXS buck & ball rifle?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:25:35 PM »
Look under Tutorials and then Miscellaneous Tutorials, where the  instructions for posting photos is the first listing

I'd like to see the images of your SxS, including any stampings, the butt area including any patchbox, the lock areas, etc.

OLUT

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:52:24 PM »
Here's a link to the photo posting tutorial....  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

ssilver

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:23:30 AM »
Thanks for the link, I tried to get to the photo bucket but no luck, my connection is poor at best. The patch box or lack of one throws me, too much silverwork to NOT have one. I would be glad to email pics. (I have about 20) to any one interested & anyone that would want to post them has my permission. Please send Photo request to thirdwheel2@att.net

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:59:26 AM »
Thanks for the link, I tried to get to the photo bucket but no luck, my connection is poor at best. The patch box or lack of one throws me, too much silverwork to NOT have one. I would be glad to email pics. (I have about 20) to any one interested & anyone that would want to post them has my permission. Please send Photo request to thirdwheel2@att.net

I will. Email sent.

grouchy

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 07:20:39 PM »
Hurry! ;D

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 05:41:31 AM »
Here 'ya go!

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 07:56:26 AM »
Get rid of that Phillips head screw!!!   :o  More close ups of the locks would help.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:58:53 AM by aka california eddillon »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
Very interesting treasure you have there.  Sure hope you figure out where it came from.  That eagle looks
familiar....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:21:24 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

ssilver

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
Thanx to Bill Ladd for posting the photos. My wife & I are enjoying our retirement,  traveling place to place living where we park the coach. Today we live in Norfolk Nebraska. We only have internet service in the campgrounds some of the time. So if I don't get to answer a post in a timely manner please bare with me. I look forward to any & all comments. This gun is one of 2 I found in Illinois & having NO markings it has been impossible to find out anything of value. Please, if you have any ideas on what I found or suggestions on where I might stop & show it, I'm willing to travel.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:45 PM »
Can't help with value.  Whatever somebody wants to pay.  The gun fits no standard niche.  You need a guy that
likes the unusual.  I would keep it.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:30:24 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

eddillon

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 10:56:19 PM »
I really like the untouched condition except for that little Phillips head screw. ;D

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 07:17:09 AM »
That little screw is a "Robertson", a Canadian screw...Phillips are American, and are in the form of a cross, or "X".  but I agree, it must go.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ssilver

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 07:54:20 AM »
OK, the screw is gone! Replaced with a flathead out of a old junker shotgun.  ;)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 04:32:22 AM »
Where did y'all Eagle Eyes see the screw?I musta had too many Redds today.Cheers.Nice lookin double.  Dave

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 05:34:56 AM »
well, thats an odd one. Rifle fittings, smooth barrels ( of different calibers, if I'm not wrong) and lots of silver, but very little of it appears to be engraved. the barrel key escutions being different shapes is old as well.

Hungry Horse

oakridge

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »
Where did y'all Eagle Eyes see the screw?I musta had too many Redds today.Cheers.Nice lookin double.  Dave

In the toeplate. Seventh photo down.

ssilver

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 01:27:33 AM »
Got a little more information. The gun weighs in at 9lb. 6.6oz it measures 57 1/2" tip to toe & has 40 1/2" bbls.. Looks like the stock might be cherry. I took the gun apart this morning, cleaned & oiled the locks. I took a few more photos while apart. Now with a little luck they will be posted soon. If anyone has an idea on where, when or who made it please post, the information may kindle a spark in someone's memory. Thanks to all who have taken the time so far.

eddillon

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 01:58:49 AM »
Hope you got some good closeups of the locks inside and out.  The triggerguard is very intriguing.  Try to get a photo of it in a straight on photo of the underside of the rifle.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:02:08 AM by aka california eddillon »

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 05:32:28 AM »
Here's more -

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 12:11:57 AM »

In the toeplate. Seventh photo down.

Yep,I sees it now.No Redds today-yet.This is easy ta fix.On my pic it looks like a push button,til I looks at it with the coke bottle bottom specs.Thanks,Dave :D